OBD2 Port cap has wires coming out??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irtmks

Reaction score
I have owned my Raptor for three years. I am the original owner. Service has been at the dealer for Oil changes and recently the "Clock Spring" was replaced under Warranty. (The Clock Spring is the flexible cable cartridge that interfaces all switches on the steering wheel to the steering column. It is the part that moves with the turning of the wheel).

Anyway, I purchased a "Blue Driver" OBD2 reader a few weeks ago. Just for the heck of it. Fun Gadget to play with (Worked well on the Ford Edge Loaner car they gave me while replacing the "Clock Spring" HaHa.

So today, I thought I would plug it into the Raptor. When I went to remove the OBD2 safety cover, I noticed a red and black wire coming from the cap. I assume power wires?? I reached as far as I could get my hand up back of the dash and felt what appears to be an inline fuse. (sort of confirming these are powering something.) I looked on google to find a similar issue a fellow had with a dodge (used, he was second owner, feeding a GPS tracker). I am original owner, and my Raptor is stock! I do have a dash and rear cam, but I installed these myself, so I know it is NOT from that. Any ideas? I will call Ford tomorrow. I am wondering if it was part of the $900 dollar alarm package the dealer tried to sell me? (And failed)!! (Although, who can turn down a $17 window etching process that the dealer wants $400????)

jdholder

Reaction score
Most likely part of that alarm you mentioned.
Or a dealer installed aftermarket vehicle recovery (gps) module.

Not stock. And “Ford” won’t have any ideas what you are talking about most likely.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have owned my Raptor for three years. I am the original owner. Service has been at the dealer for Oil changes and recently the "Clock Spring" was replaced under Warranty. (The Clock Spring is the flexible cable cartridge that interfaces all switches on the steering wheel to the steering column. It is the part that moves with the turning of the wheel).

Anyway, I purchased a "Blue Driver" OBD2 reader a few weeks ago. Just for the heck of it. Fun Gadget to play with (Worked well on the Ford Edge Loaner car they gave me while replacing the "Clock Spring" HaHa.

So today, I thought I would plug it into the Raptor. When I went to remove the OBD2 safety cover, I noticed a red and black wire coming from the cap. I assume power wires?? I reached as far as I could get my hand up back of the dash and felt what appears to be an inline fuse. (sort of confirming these are powering something.) I looked on google to find a similar issue a fellow had with a dodge (used, he was second owner, feeding a GPS tracker). I am original owner, and my Raptor is stock! I do have a dash and rear cam, but I installed these myself, so I know it is NOT from that. Any ideas? I will call Ford tomorrow. I am wondering if it was part of the $900 dollar alarm package the dealer tried to sell me? (And failed)!! (Although, who can turn down a $17 window etching process that the dealer wants $400????)
Dealer installed garage. They put those “alarms” on every vehicle that comes through the door and then try to sell them as an add-on “upgrade”. When the customer declines, they just leave it on the vehicle because the kits are so cheap that it’s not worth their time to take it off.

I would bring it back to the selling dealer and demand that they remove it and repair the whatever wires they spliced into and damaged. It’s only going to cause problems down the road if you leave it there. The OBD2 port should not be tampered with, especially not with a some aftermarket garbage “alarm” kit.

OP
OP
irtmks

irtmks

Reaction score
OK, So if you are at least 70 tears old and are reading this, probably no explanation is needed, but as most of you Raptor owners are younger (a few in diapers), Let me explain.....

Yep, I told the dealership NO, NO, NO to their $700 alarm. They of course explained that it was already installed. I, of course explained that sometimes your the fly and sometimes the windshield, the dealership fly was approaching my soon to be Raptor windshield. And, how conceited of the dealership to "Presume" what me, the Customer "Must" have as options compared to what me, the customer "Wanted" as options. They then explained that the Alarm system was already registered to the GPS Alarm company "Defense." I reminded them that I wanted to buy a Raptor...I did not "need" to buy a Raptor. Big difference! They conceded. (I guess they figured they would screw me somewhere else on the deal......In the end, they said they would just leave it installed. The finance guy said it was already in fact locked into this Raptor so he just gave me the code numbers to download app, and set it up. It has worked flawlessly! So much so, that a few months after I purchased the Raptor, I got bored looking at the GPS app and location etc. Yep, I forgot ALL about it until last night when my wife and I went over the paperwork. I wanted to confirm I had not paid for it (at least as a line item. I probably paid for it in pain and suffering having to hang out at the dealership) but looks like I did not pay (directly).

So I went out, unplugged the OBD2 cap and snapped a pic. I then reached up inside the dash and snapped a pic of the Alarm. I plugged it back in. I then verified the app and alarm were still functional. (In my mind not much functionality as any hoodlum (Probably a Dodge Owner), could steel my truck and simply un-plug the OBD2 cap to disable?

Thanks for the responses

Alarm 1.jpg Alarm 2.jpg

debauch

Reaction score
Happened to me a few weeks ago when I got my Raptor. Out of the gate the sales guy comes with paper work listing their asking price plus $599 for a GPS tracker. They kept insisting that it’s a dealer installed accessory and that it can’t be removed. I lasted about 20 minutes before giving up and walking out. I’ve never had a dealer insist on me buying after market crap … but the Raptor is my first Ford!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
It’s not just a Ford thing. I had a Mazda dealer etch a code into all the glass for similar purposes and wanted me to pay for the service and registration of the numbers. It’s a sh*tty tactic by sh*tty dealers to make a few extra bucks. NEVER accept it and pay. It’s better to walk if they insist.

flunde

Reaction score
Hello, I just purchases a 2020 Raptor and it has this. Can I just unplug it?
Appreciate this post & reply. Thanks

mtnghost

Reaction score
Hello, I just purchases a 2020 Raptor and it has this. Can I just unplug it?
Appreciate this post & reply. Thanks
Yeah just make sure all traces are removed and returned to factory. Just unplugging the unit could lead to issues if it’s spliced in.