Where did my Back-Up Guidelines Go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealership today. They say the backup camera must be replaced. It worked fine when I gave them the key, just the guidelines wouldn't work. Now the camera doesn't work AT ALL. I guess that proves that I need a new camera, huh? :cool:
Be ready to gawk at the cost of a new camera. I've had to replace mine.

Couple things - you can find the camera cheaper on Ebay. It's easy to replace. Here's the important part. Your Ford emblem is going to break when you remove it - and you have to remove it. So when you buy a new camera, also purchase the entire updated replacement housing. It looks the same, all goes right together, but uses a slightly different emblem with clips that won't break if you remove it. Your other option is to spend slightly less and just purchase a replacement emblem which will also break if you ever remove it again.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Dane - I'm having the transfer case replaced at the same time by the dealer. So if they break the emblem, they can provide a new one.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Dane - I'm having the transfer case replaced at the same time by the dealer. So if they break the emblem, they can provide a new one.
Gotcha - but you're going to pay through the NOSE to have the dealer do the camera. You got a price? I guarantee it's cheaper to do it yourself and just pay for the emblem.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2014-...p-Camera-Reverse-Parking-OEM-NEW/321612040034
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2014-...ousing-Bezel-Emblem-UPDATED-OEM-/153171211655

It's a 15 minute job with basic tools - and that includes a beer.

************edit*******
Hmmm, looks like part number changed between 2011 and 2012.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My nose is fine, but my wallet's a bit thinner. Cost of the camera was $478.77, cost of the emblem was $42.44, and labor was a rather surprising $240.00.

Now contrast that (especially the labor charge) with what I was charged to replace the transfer case: $1155.82 for the transfer case, $24.00 for new bolts, and $540.00 for labor.

The labor to replace the camera was nearly half what it cost to replace the transfer case. That strikes me as pretty odd, but they undershot the estimate by about $200. They were kind enough to move my magnetic drain plug from the old transfer case to the new one, and they gave me the old transfer case so that I could take it home, take it apart, and see how much plastic is really in it.

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This hasn't happened to anyone else?
I have discovered a completely unique problem?

My daughter drove my truck today and asked where they were. I never even knew they were missing. Then I see this post in the same day... crazy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My daughter drove my truck today and asked where they were. I never even knew they were missing. Then I see this post in the same day... crazy

Try resetting the guidelines in the menu. If that doesn't work, see if disconnecting the battery overnight enables you to reset the guidelines. I tried both and had to buy a new camera anyway, but it's worth a try.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As an aside, they had to keep my Raptor overnight and sent me home in a new Ranger. Geeeze. Spongy brakes, horrible throttle response just off idle, engine shudders and wants to die when starting uphill from a stop, and worst of all you have to remove the front right tire to get to the oil filter. Horrible.