Where did my Back-Up Guidelines Go?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2011 SCAB, and for all this time I've enjoyed the guidelines on the backup camera screen. Now, all of a sudden, they're gone. I have reset the guidelines using the menu many, many times, but it immediately reverts to Off. I've disconnected he battery over night, too. Still no joy.

Has anyone else experienced this, and does anyone have a fix?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTW mine have been gone for about three years now and have not missed them until you posted. LOL
Luckily I purchased another 0 deductible ESP warranty so I'm good till 2022.

Not sure if that's all the Sync update does but you need something to reset the nav unit.
You can always do a master reset and see if that helps.
I believe a chip in the camera is what produces the lines, so it could be a loose or corroded connection.
Now whether the Camera, Nav or the BCM retains your settings is somewhat of mystery.
But before buying a new camera I would rule out anything else.

There's also a suggestion that when you turn on the guide lines you need to press and hold both seat memory buttons,
one at a time of course. I will try this myself some time this week.

TSB for guide lines:
https://www.fordraptorforum.com/thr...icking-sync-“phone”-button.13977/#post-209508

I found this on the other forum, TSB on guide lines.
https://www.raptorforumz.com/threads/rearview-camera-guidelines-resets.17305/

Wow, the camera is expensive:
https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-rearview-backup-camera-f-150-bl3z19g490b/?c=bT0xJmc9ZWxlY3RyaWNhbCZzPXBhcmtpbmctYWlkJmk9TUEwOTg2NTUmcj02JmE9Zm9yZCZvPWYtMTUwJnk9MjAxMSZ0PXN2dC1yYXB0b3ImZT02LTJsLXY4LWdhcw==

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, @MTF . I don't have the nav system or seat memory buttons, but I will sure check out the rear camera plug. I'm a little leery of a using the master reset, though. Have you ever done that. If so, what did you have to re-do?

I'm getting the wrench icon in 4x4 mode and have an appointment for November 21 to have that resolved. If I don't figure out the guidelines by then, I'll ask about a camera TSP.

Thank you very much for your help with this, sir.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven't done it in years, but it like setting it up for the first time you got your truck. Good Luck

Today I dropped the spare tire, pulled the rear camera plug apart and blew it clean with compressed air. There was some dust on the outside of the plug, but no apparent dust on the inside where the electrical contacts are. Also reset the system to factory standard. Still no joy. The guidelines reset to Off immediately after I turn them on. Looks like the dealer will have to resolve this for me.

If anyone has the TSB number for the rear camera on the GEN1s, I'd sure appreciate hearing from you.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to play with the backup camera.
It's working got the lines back and they stay.
I may have turned it off when I was adjusting the contrast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took my truck to the dealership today. They say the backup camera must be replaced. It worked fine when I gave them the key, just the guidelines wouldn't work. Now the camera doesn't work AT ALL. I guess that proves that I need a new camera, huh? :cool: