What winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Only think I've noticed with extreme cold and a synthetic winch line is that it will get frozen and stick together.
You will have to replace it more often. I think the recommended interval is every 3 years.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my hunt, this is definitely the best bang for the buck.

With shipping to the great north, id just order new from RSI.

JnJraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a smittybilt x20 12k winch with synthetic and wireless control. Not even installed yet but appears to be the same quality as the smittybilt I had on my rock crawler. Never had an issue and the price point was always fair.

VortexTed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an alternative to consider for self recovery, I bought a new 3 Ton Harrington Manual Lever Hoist for $275 a few years back.

Harrington Hoists and Cranes - Manual Hoists

Figured it would give me more options to pull from front or rear. I have several pulley blocks, extra cable, tree straps, and tow straps to extend the reach and recovery angle of attack as well.

I didn't want to have the added weight and load of a winch on the front end either.

Food for thought anyway.

I like the way you think. I don't want the extra weight on the front end either. Where do you find the pulley blocks, extra cable, tree straps, and tow straps etc to go along with it. Seems like the come-along is a great idea as well. I can just throw them in the back of the truck when I want to go off roading.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like the way you think. I don't want the extra weight on the front end either. Where do you find the pulley blocks, extra cable, tree straps, and tow straps etc to go along with it. Seems like the come-along is a great idea as well. I can just throw them in the back of the truck when I want to go off roading.
I really like the warn snatch block, but it is pricey.

Southeast Overlanders is a good place to get recovery gear, along with www.masterpull.com for winch extensions.

@Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:
www.runraptorrun.com

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I bought Smittybilt straps, snatch blocks, and such off Amazon.com, you can find them or other brands elsewhere too. Check out Bubba Rope and their gator jaw shackles, I just bought two of the 32K pound tensile strength gator jaws to replace the heavy metal D-Shackles. Using one or two snatch blocks can double/triple your pulling power, be it a winch or otherwise.

shakenbake

Reaction score
got that smitty with the remote. never thought the remote mattered that much until i found myself having to use it on my own. great idea and easy to operate.