What winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warn is built in the great USA, shittybuilt in China.

NO ONE I know in the Jeep world or Raptoir world trusts the Chinese built stuff.
I've heard good things about SUPERWINCH, but again - Chinese, and I wouldn't buy from them for any reason at all!

Part true. VR branded winches are made in China. I have an email conversation with one of their reps. TL;DR they want to have a competitively priced "starter" winch brand to compete with the Harbor Freight and Smittybilt folks. They still try to maintain a higher standard of manufacture, but they're not "MADE IN USA". The rest of the line is, however.

Superwinch used to advertise "Made in USA" however they no longer do, whether that was because they moved their production overseas or because they simply weren't being forthright, I'm not sure. However I will say they are a STELLAR company, my winch is about 7 years old and was discontinued shortly after I purchased, when it broke a few years back I was unable to find the correct part and they simply fabricated the part for me and sent it my way. I was charged shipping, thats it.

@Rocsteady, I promise you it fits. There are two flag nuts that are included that you won't use, as well as a faceplate that I never installed, but it will fit.

You will have to take the skid plate out, undo the bolts on the tow hooks, raise the winch mount into place, it then gets sandwiched between the frame and the tow hooks. Its a bit unwieldy to install, but not hard with a bike lift or a second set of hands.

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part true. VR branded winches are made in China. I have an email conversation with one of their reps. TL;DR they want to have a competitively priced "starter" winch brand to compete with the Harbor Freight and Smittybilt folks. They still try to maintain a higher standard of manufacture, but they're not "MADE IN USA". The rest of the line is, however.

Superwinch used to advertise "Made in USA" however they no longer do, whether that was because they moved their production overseas or because they simply weren't being forthright, I'm not sure. However I will say they are a STELLAR company, my winch is about 7 years old and was discontinued shortly after I purchased, when it broke a few years back I was unable to find the correct part and they simply fabricated the part for me and sent it my way. I was charged shipping, thats it.

@Rocsteady, I promise you it fits. There are two flag nuts that are included that you won't use, as well as a faceplate that I never installed, but it will fit.

You will have to take the skid plate out, undo the bolts on the tow hooks, raise the winch mount into place, it then gets sandwiched between the frame and the tow hooks. Its a bit unwieldy to install, but not hard with a bike lift or a second set of hands.
And THAT is why I love this forum. Thank you very much. That is good enough for me to give it a go.

donh

Reaction score
I have the WARN ZEON 12-S Platinum on my 2014 SCREW, love it. Pulled me out of some nasty clay/mud that I was sunk to the frame in. Paid for itself the first time I used it. :)

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And THAT is why I love this forum. Thank you very much. That is good enough for me to give it a go.

If you have any questions, drop me a line. Like I said in the video, if its in your budget get a winch with the wireless controller so you don't have to pop the hood to use the winch.

Btw, If I was in your shoes I'd probably just go ahead and order the bolts and the retaining nut on the backside of the skidplate since those are prone to be wrecked by the time we get to them. I shredded one the first time I tried installing it, so it had to wait.

I'd give you the part number if I had it, but I just went to the dealership because screw paying like 30 bucks to ship 6 bolts and 2 retaining nuts to Hawaii.

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have any questions, drop me a line. Like I said in the video, if its in your budget get a winch with the wireless controller so you don't have to pop the hood to use the winch.

Btw, If I was in your shoes I'd probably just go ahead and order the bolts and the retaining nut on the backside of the skidplate since those are prone to be wrecked by the time we get to them. I shredded one the first time I tried installing it, so it had to wait.

I'd give you the part number if I had it, but I just went to the dealership because screw paying like 30 bucks to ship 6 bolts and 2 retaining nuts to Hawaii.
Again, great stuff. Really do appreciate the info.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Rocsteady, I was feeling saucy so here are the part numbers too.

W706894S439 BOLT

W707640S439 NUT

Looks like I ordered 6 of each, I don't remember if that meant I needed 6 of each... but take it for what you will.

Also when mounting the skid plate, do not over torque it; I think that is how a lot of these nuts break away in the first place.

front bolts 35lb/ft (4 total)

rear bolts 41lb/ft (2 total)

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:

Rocsteady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Rocsteady, I was feeling saucy so here are the part numbers too.

W706894S439 BOLT

W707640S439 NUT

Looks like I ordered 6 of each, I dont remember if that meant I needed 6 of each... but take it for what you will.

Also when mounting the skit plate, down over torque it, I think thats how a lot of these nuts break anyways.

front bolts 35lb/ft (4 total)

rear bolts 41lb/ft (2 total)
Okay, you should definitely get the FRF Golden R sticker for your truck for all this help. I really appreciate it. Thanks again.