what is the best bbk kits for the raptor??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
20200825_185758.jpg i have had the alcon 6 piston bbk kit on my raptor and they are now toast at 30k miles . no towing other than maybe 5 times with my bass boat or jetski nothing heavy. with 35s toyos i didnt expect them to go out that fast. i just ordered new rotors and pads again from alcon for 2500 bucks, but now im starting to think maybe i should go with brembo kit for the front at least if they stop better and last longer. and input from users here?

20200825_185752.jpg

Last edited:

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk if I’m missing something, but I’ve always run pads for 25-30k miles and rotors for 50-60k miles. That was just normal wear.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$2500 for brake pads and rotors? That's criminal.

When you spend the money on any custom BBK, the initial cost is high due to the engineering and manufacturing of the kit and of course the high end components. That much can be justified. But when they charge half the cost of the kit for replacement components, that's just price gouging.

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$2500 for brake pads and rotors? That's criminal.

When you spend the money on any custom BBK, the initial cost is high due to the engineering and manufacturing of the kit and of course the high end components. That much can be justified. But when they charge half the cost of the kit for replacement components, that's just price gouging.
Raptor tax.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy with some 4-6 piston Wilwoods, really thick rotors, and a decent performance street pad... that fits under the OE wheels WITH tape weights of course! Cause I like to eat my cake. That could be done for MUCH less if the right people felt there was a market for it.

If I were younger, a killing could be made flying WAY under the Raptor tax.. then again, I closed the business for a reason.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk if I’m missing something, but I’ve always run pads for 25-30k miles and rotors for 50-60k miles. That was just normal wear.

well these brake calipers are so close to the wheels that i though i had some little rocks or whatever in there making the sqeeks since the first day i had them installed i had light sqeeks here and there which was normal i figured. but last couple days it started to sound like im metal to metal grinding, and with the small icon wheels its hard to see anything without removing the heavy wheels and checking. so i had them checked out today and the front rotors are cracked somehow from overheating or idk. the pads have a little bit left in the front, the rears though the pads are gone but the rotors are still ok, i just figured i get them all changed though and bleed in new brake oil as well. hopefully this time i wont have to change the rotors with the pads again or il def be looking at other options.

i have asked about the brembo brake kit from addictive desert designs today and they said i would need a 20 inch wheel to clear those. so that option went out the window, as much as i love their kits they are more expensive than the 5500 dollar alcon kit that i paid for with the calipers and all, but i wont be having any 20 inch wheels on the raptor lol. was just hoping to see others here that have bbk kits and see what their using and if they lasted longer than 30 k miles . as im open to changing them to better ones if there is any that fit stock size wheels.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t purchased yet but the R1 concepts kit looks promising
https://www.freedommotorsports.us/c...aptor-oem-replacement-bbk-brake-packages.html

thanks i have bought quite a few items from them and they always give me awesome deals. i did message and email them to ask about their options and still waiting to hear back from them. that kit does look pretty promising. curious to see if anyone has good experience with them here. after driving a raptor with factory brakes and jumping back into mine its a big noticable change in the stopping power without much pressure on the pedal with the alcons, so i def love having the bigger brakes on this heavy truck

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Alcons are definitely a niche kit with the ability to fit under 17s. I can’t believe the rotors are cracked...maybe a defective set. I thought they only dimpled those and not drilled, right? I’m guessing it’s all special sizing and no aftermarket options...$2500 is too much for pads and rotors.

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks i have bought quite a few items from them and they always give me awesome deals. i did message and email them to ask about their options and still waiting to hear back from them. that kit does look pretty promising. curious to see if anyone has good experience with them here. after driving a raptor with factory brakes and jumping back into mine its a big noticable change in the stopping power without much pressure on the pedal with the alcons, so i def love having the bigger brakes on this heavy truck
I have the R1 BBK. It was designed to fit with 17” wheels, but I can assure you it does not. You NEED 18’s minimum.
Here’s the low down. The installation was a nightmare. The provided brackets did not fit properly and we had to machine (I think) 50 thousandths off of it so that the caliper would not contact the rotor. No shims were included in the kit. 5e instructions were lousy as well.

All of that said, the brakes do work well. I picked up a firmer pedal feel and the stopping power is nice. They were a noticeable improvement over stock. I just got back from Baja about an hour ago and they worked very well. But so did all the other trucks with stock brakes.

Overall the look good and work well, but it was an expensive experiment when I had to buy wheels/tires just to make them fit on the truck.

D1F9DBD4-0A23-4303-988C-55C115038074.jpeg

60197A17-C2F4-4571-813A-E8B604B2E6B2.jpeg

F29A45B1-8B40-42F7-9F80-784E849CCE9C.jpeg

8333C31A-CF65-40D5-9F75-690F17AD6F69.jpeg