GEN 2 What else is in your garage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the advice and info! You had me absurdly quick, but I do appreciate the other advantages a tune will offer. I'll probably drive it stock for awhile, at least long enough for the new car excitement to die down, and then drop the tune in. I've perused a few tunes/tuners - any feeling on 5-Star and their power train warranty? One of the reasons I went with a Dinan tune on the 240i was the warranty they offered built-in (you definitely pay for it though!).
I dunno man I think when push comes to shove its really all dependent on how the dealer treats a warranty issue - I wouldn't put THAT much merit on 3rd party warranty claims. That being said, while I've heard of people getting pushback for warranty work due to TQ arms in the rear end, taller/stiffer front springs, larger FMIC, for all the concern & questions honestly I personally have yet to hear from ANYONE having an issue w/ warrantied drivetrain work due to a tune. That's not to say it can't/couldn't happen - I just haven't heard it. I had warranty work performed on my previous tuned 2018 Raptor - I tuned back to stock when I had it done - but didn't dealer wasn't going to dig into it one way or the other, they just ID the issue & (esp if there's a known TSB or its a common quirk) they just move forward w/ the repair & call it a day. The 3.5 ** has a forged crank, it has PLENTY of fueling capability in stock form for a tune-only setup, & w/ a tune from someplace like gearhead or goose or livernois, in many ways I think they help PRESERVE the tranny/transfer case vs. the stock programming IMHO.

My 2018 had the Gearhead tune for 28k miles w/ 0 issues (other than a chick broadsiding me @ 40 mph totaling it....which wasn't tune related lol!)

Either way - I think your mindset of driving it around stock getting used to the new truck for a few thousand miles before doing any mods is a good one. Enjoy the truck!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with you here. The torque steer from being in 4A is a horrible feeling (to me) so I only use 4A in snow.
And now that mine is tuned, I never use sport mode anymore either as it likes to hang on to gears for way too long
Yeah I think some of that behavior all depends on the tune - the Gearhead tunes are very much transmission focused & they're quite smooth - of course there's also the algorithmic adaptive tranny logic which would be unique to your truck vs mine as well, so its tune specific + driving style....& then there's the Torsen front diff option. I think the TQ steer is more noticeable/prevalent in Raptors w/ the torsen front diff - my 2018 had it, my 2020 does not (TQ steer) -

What I like about 4A in the Raptors is that its as close to AWD as you'll get in a 1/2 ton pickup, the unique transfer case basically eliminates ANY concern for binding on dry roads & tight turns - which is not the same w/ standard F150s - & I feel like running in 4A when getting on it also helps eliminate the wheel hop/axle wrap in the rear end - obviously you can put more power down w/ less slippage & less wear on your tires vs. 2wd

course 2wd is fun too

so isnt 2wd in baja mode w/ the rear diff locked hahahhahhahahha

OP will forget about that M240i lol

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I think some of that behavior all depends on the tune - the Gearhead tunes are very much transmission focused & they're quite smooth - of course there's also the algorithmic adaptive tranny logic which would be unique to your truck vs mine as well, so its tune specific + driving style....& then there's the Torsen front diff option. I think the TQ steer is more noticeable/prevalent in Raptors w/ the torsen front diff - my 2018 had it, my 2020 does not (TQ steer) -

What I like about 4A in the Raptors is that its as close to AWD as you'll get in a 1/2 ton pickup, the unique transfer case basically eliminates ANY concern for binding on dry roads & tight turns - which is not the same w/ standard F150s - & I feel like running in 4A when getting on it also helps eliminate the wheel hop/axle wrap in the rear end - obviously you can put more power down w/ less slippage & less wear on your tires vs. 2wd

course 2wd is fun too

so isnt 2wd in baja mode w/ the rear diff locked hahahhahhahahha

OP will forget about that M240i lol

Concur. :favorites37:

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.& then there's the Torsen front diff option. I think the TQ steer is more noticeable/prevalent in Raptors w/ the torsen front diff - my 2018 had it, my 2020 does not (TQ steer) -
Wait a sec, not all second Gen Raptors have torsen diffs? I had no idea. That’s my main (and only) complaint about 4A. I agree with you that it’s by far the most effective way to put power down in any scenario, there’s just a part of me that enjoys the feeling of the vehicle I’m driving trying to **** me with no nannies there to prevent it lol