What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

I am looking forward to the pictures and write up.

I am surprised to hear that your transmission has had to be rebuilt twice. What was your service regimen on the transmission? I flush the transmission fluid with Amsoil ATF, while also changing the filter every 30,000 miles. My transmission shifts just as smooth as it did when I first got it. Yes, 30,000 miles is early, but it insures that the solenoids (and other transmission parts) will stay in tip top shape. Especially, since the solenoids are known to collect debris and go out easily.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am looking forward to the pictures and write up.

I am surprised to hear that your transmission has had to be rebuilt twice. What was your service regimen on the transmission? I flush the transmission fluid with Amsoil ATF, while also changing the filter every 30,000 miles. My transmission shifts just as smooth as it did when I first got it. Yes, 30,000 miles is early, but it insures that the solenoids (and other transmission parts) will stay in tip top shape. Especially, since the solenoids are known to collect debris and go out easily.

Heat probably killed mine the first time, and the second because it wasn't done properly.
If the Ford interval is (I think) 100k (@ 195 degrees) and if the temps were mostly 210 then the fluid would have been killed long before that. I read somewhere every 20 degrees above normal operating cuts the fluid life in half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat probably killed mine the first time, and the second because it wasn't done properly.
If the Ford interval is (I think) 100k (@ 195 degrees) and if the temps were mostly 210 then the fluid would have been killed long before that. I read somewhere every 20 degrees above normal operating cuts the fluid life in half.

The Raptor's transmission normal operating temperature is over 200 degrees. So I doubt Ford would set themselves up for failure so quickly.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor's transmission normal operating temperature is over 200 degrees. So I doubt Ford would set themselves up for failure so quickly.
whatever 205 degrees normal operating temp then if you are running at 220+ the fluid is compromised....you get the idea

JefeAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as i get time im installing. Pretty excited to have a zero mile (340,000 mile) raptor
Wait you have 340K miles on a 6.2? Highest mileage on here? Have you kept a maintenance log of issues?

According to the high mileage thread you hit 100K a year ago. What have you been doing!?!

SVT_Mayo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the Gen 2 steering wheel paddle shifters fully functional through the clock spring on the Gen 1. Took a little more time then I wanted but I got there. A lot of trial and error a long with a lot of time invested (when I had the time).

I can tell you the mod isn’t exactly for the faint of heart. You will lose the dash control center functionality on the steering wheel (can still be used when needed), cruise control, and bluetooth/sync phone and voice commands. There is no way around losing these things. I took a lot of time trying to get it to work, it just won’t.

What You will have is audio and of course PADDLE SHIFTERS.

PM me for more info. I will also write a post.

Here’s a video for you guys. They work as if they came stock.

D

Deleted member 17706

Fluid breaks down plain and simple. Ford’s service intervals are about worthless (at times). Moreover, I have had numerous Ford service people try to tell me that the transmission is sealed for life and/or the transmission filter is good for the life of the vehicle too. My response to such madness, “kick rocks buddy.”

Transmission fluid has a ton of detergents in it. It does a great job protecting mechanical components. But heat will break down any fluid over time. Moreover, if you never remove the break-in particles from your transmission, you are exposing your transmission exponents to more wear.

Change your transmission fluid consistently and you will prevent problems from occurring. It is no different then changing your oil regularly. You want to insure that you are removing containments and keeping every component properly lubricated.

If you have a bunch of miles on your transmission and have not serviced it properly, then it may be too late. If you do a flush now, you could remove deposits and varnish on your clutch plates, which will cause your transmission to start slipping even though it has not slipped to date. This is why I flush mine at 30,000 miles to ensure I am not too late.

Lastly, full synthetic transmission fluids can withstand much higher heat temperatures than regular transmission fluids. In other words, a synthetic fluid’s break down point is much higher than a regular fluid’s break down point. Yes, if you regularly service the transmission with the Mercon fluid, then it will suffice. But if you want greater protection from heat, then go with a full synthetic. The bottom line, regularly service your vehicle!

The power train on the Gen 1 will last a long time. As noted above, OGDOBBER got 340,000 miles on his engine. It will not be surprising to see others get 500,000 miles (or more) out of the power train with regular maintenance.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Made a Raptor Light weight version. Though the seats suck...

48377465_10217820071433278_6283282174724538368_o.jpg

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fluid breaks down plain and simple. Ford’s service intervals are about worthless (at times). Moreover, I have had numerous Ford service people try to tell me that the transmission is sealed for life and/or the transmission filter is good for the life of the vehicle too. My response to such madness, “kick rocks buddy.”

Transmission fluid has a ton of detergents in it. It does a great job protecting mechanical components. But heat will break down any fluid over time. Moreover, if you never remove the break-in particles from your transmission, you are exposing your transmission exponents to more wear.

Change your transmission fluid consistently and you will prevent problems from occurring. It is no different then changing your oil regularly. You want to insure that you are removing containments and keeping every component properly lubricated.

If you have a bunch of miles on your transmission and have not serviced it properly, then it may be too late. If you do a flush now, you could remove deposits and varnish on your clutch plates, which will cause your transmission to start slipping even though it has not slipped to date. This is why I flush mine at 30,000 miles to ensure I am not too late.

Lastly, full synthetic transmission fluids can withstand much higher heat temperatures than regular transmission fluids. In other words, a synthetic fluid’s break down point is much higher than a regular fluid’s break down point. Yes, if you regularly service the transmission with the Mercon fluid, then it will suffice. But if you want greater protection from heat, then go with a full synthetic. The bottom line, regularly service your vehicle!

The power train on the Gen 1 will last a long time. As noted above, OGDOBBER got 340,000 miles on his engine. It will not be surprising to see others get 500,000 miles (or more) out of the power train with regular maintenance.

Well said!
Btw i bought is from an old friend (who happens to be a member here and he put all the miles on it. The original motor is still fine, the tensioner just failed when i was doing a burnout[emoji23]. (Not on oem tensioner...) Anyways the rear main was leaking so i knew i had to pull the motor anyways. That is when i saw the brand new long block on Dallas Craigslist...for 3500 i couldn't pass it up.
To clear up some confusion on the Dallas motor since i live in socal here is a quick explanation.
Bought the truck and it sat for 4 months, got a job in new Orleans so flew to Atlanta to pickup truck and drive down there. Did big burnouts and broke it. Rented a f150 to drive to work while my new timinu chain and tensioners came in, saw listing on Craigslist and friday after work hauled ass to Dallas, picked up motor, back to atl dropped it in and drove back to socal