Weird Noises on Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AGKINGS

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum and am looking for some guidance. I have a 2017 Raptor with 50k miles. For some time now, the truck has been making some weird noises on a cold start, as well as after the truck has been sitting for 10 minutes and then restarted. Any ideas? My local dealer has said there is nothing wrong after multiple visits, but I find it hard to believe this is a standard sound. I would like to figure this out before the manufactures warranty is completely up. Thanks!

Wow I have the exact same issue always a short rattle at cold start or sitting for about 10 min. I did mention it to the dealer but they said it’s nothing .... I’m thinking it’s the fuel line that’s not priming. I remember I would hear it prime before now it doesn’t.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely your cam phasers. Mine is in the shop right now for the 2nd time in 6k miles for that exact issue. I would have them change the tensioner's and timing chain too if your mileages is getting up there. Parts are cheap so it wont cost much out of pocket.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good looking rig. Hope they get you all fixed up soon. Curious did the official TSB come out?

Schmagagled

Reaction score
So FordTechOne...your name gives the impression you fix Fords for a living...My '18 is sitting in the dealership parking lot waiting on backordered cam phasers now. It's been about a week and a half at this point. The tech said they were also going to replace the high pressure fuel pump as well. The SM said there was going to be a TSB, but he also said it wasn't out yet and they were just going to replace my cam phasers without waiting for the new TSB.

At this point do you know if Ford are only shipping the newer type cam phasers? And is this TSB actually out yet?

Thanks,

S.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So FordTechOne...your name gives the impression you fix Fords for a living...My '18 is sitting in the dealership parking lot waiting on backordered cam phasers now. It's been about a week and a half at this point. The tech said they were also going to replace the high pressure fuel pump as well. The SM said there was going to be a TSB, but he also said it wasn't out yet and they were just going to replace my cam phasers without waiting for the new TSB.

At this point do you know if Ford are only shipping the newer type cam phasers? And is this TSB actually out yet?

Thanks,

S.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I, fortunately, haven't had any problems but I'd like to have a TSB number to fall back on if I do

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Thanks,

S.

The TSB (directed repair, saves labor time) isn't yet published , but from my sources all suspect cam phasers have been isolated and all cam phasers since the SSM came out are "clean stock", meaning they are the updated part numbers. Once an issue is identified and confirmed Ford will purge the suspect parts to prevent repeat issues.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I thought there might be an oil delivery issue that would cause harm over time if not corrected. That said, aside from sounding like crap, are there long term issues if not fixed?

Not from what engineering has sent out. There is no oil delivery issue, only faulty camshaft phaser units. The phasers don't "park" properly (positive locking pin engagement) after engine shutdown, which results in a rattle noise on cold start. Once oil pressure reaches the phaser cavities they can be properly controlled by the PCM.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would there be anyway to know up to what build dates would still have the old phasers or received the updated parts? Basically might there be 2019’s that we’re built with updates phasers?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would there be anyway to know up to what build dates would still have the old phasers or received the updated parts? Basically might there be 2019’s that we’re built with updates phasers?

Yes. Build date cutoff was on or before 4/8/2019. If your truck was built before that date, it may have the issue. After that date the parts were updated.