Weird Noises on Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know that 4 days qualifies as "several", but that's a different discussion.

Based on that video, I'd agree that your noise is more like a heat shield or maybe the wastegate. Another "known issues" with these engines is apparently some amount of wastegate rattle especially when cold. Mine does it for maybe the first 20 seconds and then it goes away. Someone posted a video once showing the ECU cycling the wastegate part of the startup so I presume that's all that's happening.
I appreciate the response and the info. That said, I know I am probably taking the bait, but I am not sure why you locked in on the use of the word "several" in your response. How many days is "several" in your opinion? According to Merriam-Webster, several is "more than two but fewer than many", so it seems like my use of the word is spot on.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All - Quick update. Ray Skillman Ford in Greenwood Indiana looked at the truck and will be replacing 4 VCT solenoids on my truck to hopefully correct the issue. Parts are on backorder for 30 days. @FordTechOne do you see this as the appropriate fix in your opinion?

Thanks,
Nick

Yes, the Service Message directs the technician to replace the VCTs, as they are the causal part. Other timing components are not affected.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have listened to other videos of those who reportedly have the cam phaser issue, but I am still uncertain as to whether I am hearing that noise, something else , or just a normal sound for an F150. While it sounds like the cam phaser noise to me, my truck was built on 4/12/19 which is several days passed the date when the issue was supposedly addressed by Ford on the assembly line (4/8/19). Here is how my truck sounded this morning on a cold start. I thought it could potentially be a heat shield or something similar, but the noise goes away fairly quickly and is non-existent when the truck has been warmed up.

That is definitely not a cam phaser noise. Remember, on a cold start you are high idle and have up to 12 injector solenoids actuating, a cold start algorithm adjusting throttle plate angle, the electronic wastegates cycling, the variable oil pump adjusting oil pressure, and the PCM running multiple tests. If it's quiet once it idles down, you're fine.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely not a cam phaser noise. Remember, on a cold start you are high idle and have up to 12 injector solenoids actuating, a cold start algorithm adjusting throttle plate angle, the electronic wastegates cycling, the variable oil pump adjusting oil pressure, and the PCM running multiple tests. If it's quiet once it idles down, you're fine.
I really appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide feedback. I'm really glad all is well!!!!!

OP
OP
RaptorStoia

RaptorStoia

Reaction score
All, I wanted to pass along the Special Service Message I received from the dealership, as well as the parts list. Open to feedback and comments.

48272 2017-2018 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Ticking/Tapping or Rattle Type Noise on Start Up After A Cold Soak

Some of the 2017-2018 F-150s built on or before 10-Jul-2018 and 2018 - 2019 Expedition and Navigator built on or before 8-Apr-2019 with 3.5L EcoBoost may exhibit tick, tap, or rattle type noise from top of engine front cover for 2-5 seconds after a cold start. A TSB is expected to be published late 4th quarter 2019. In initial interim, replace all 4 VCT units and update the PCM calibration. Do not replace other cam drive related components unless inspection identifies a concern. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01. Claim labor replace VCT's using published labor operations and PCM programming using M-time. Part availability is currently limited. Dealers should order parts only when required to complete a repair. Once the parts are ordered, the vehicle may be returned to the customer to drive. This condition does not affect long term durability or performance. EFFECTIVE DATE: 21 - October-2019

Parts List

2 Valve Cover Gaskets
6 Intake Gaskets
4 VCT Units
Front Crank Seal
TA 357
Water Pump Gaskets
O-Ring

Thanks!
Nick

Jason Callan

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. I recently purchased a CPO 2018 Ford F-150 Raptor. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the truck that were not identified/repaired during their "CPO" process. I had never driven a Ford Ecoboost 3.5L powered vehicle before my test drive of the Raptor, so I was not aware of what the car should sound like at start-up, etc. I noticed the first time I started the vehicle, it had a loud rattle (like a diesel) for about 3-5 seconds before it completely disappeared. The rest of the test drive was great, and I felt the sales process was smooth with a few minor hiccups (plate transfer issue) that were corrected when the sales manager stepped in, which led to my purchase of the vehicle on 23 Dec 2019. After we got back to our home city, we ran a couple of errands around town. Each time I started the truck, I noticed the rattle noise. Once we got home and settled in for the evening, I began to research whether or not the sound was typical. I learned from this forum that this is a well-known issue with Ford 3.5L Ecoboost involving the variable cam timing (VCT). I immediately parked the truck in the garage and scheduled the first available service appointment (6 Jan 2020) with a dealership closer to where we live. My new vehicle sat in the garage from 23 Dec 2019 until the date of service (6 Jan 2020) with a whopping 85 miles driven since purchase (72.7 miles were driving it home from the dealership). I purchased it with 41,672 miles and took it to the dealership this morning with 41,757. The local dealership diagnosed and confirmed the VCT issue and will repair it under warranty. They also identified a front pinion leak and will repair it under warranty. A great sales experience at Lasco Ford was tarnished by two significant service issues that were not identified and corrected as part of their 172 point CPO inspection of the truck. All I can say is thank goodness I purchased a CPO since it significantly extended the power-train warranty and provided me the opportunity to buy a factory-backed extended warranty.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum. I recently purchased a CPO 2018 Ford F-150 Raptor. Unfortunately, there are some issues with the truck that were not identified/repaired during their "CPO" process. I had never driven a Ford Ecoboost 3.5L powered vehicle before my test drive of the Raptor, so I was not aware of what the car should sound like at start-up, etc. I noticed the first time I started the vehicle, it had a loud rattle (like a diesel) for about 3-5 seconds before it completely disappeared. The rest of the test drive was great, and I felt the sales process was smooth with a few minor hiccups (plate transfer issue) that were corrected when the sales manager stepped in, which led to my purchase of the vehicle on 23 Dec 2019. After we got back to our home city, we ran a couple of errands around town. Each time I started the truck, I noticed the rattle noise. Once we got home and settled in for the evening, I began to research whether or not the sound was typical. I learned from this forum that this is a well-known issue with Ford 3.5L Ecoboost involving the variable cam timing (VCT). I immediately parked the truck in the garage and scheduled the first available service appointment (6 Jan 2020) with a dealership closer to where we live. My new vehicle sat in the garage from 23 Dec 2019 until the date of service (6 Jan 2020) with a whopping 85 miles driven since purchase (72.7 miles were driving it home from the dealership). I purchased it with 41,672 miles and took it to the dealership this morning with 41,757. The local dealership diagnosed and confirmed the VCT issue and will repair it under warranty. They also identified a front pinion leak and will repair it under warranty. A great sales experience at Lasco Ford was tarnished by two significant service issues that were not identified and corrected as part of their 172 point CPO inspection of the truck. All I can say is thank goodness I purchased a CPO since it significantly extended the power-train warranty and provided me the opportunity to buy a factory-backed extended warranty.

Welcome. I am sure they will get you fixed up and back on the road in no time. This will be a distant memory in short order.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good looking truck from what I can see of it. Congrats and sorry to hear of the issue. From what I have heard, this sounds like the cam phaser issue as has been diagnosed. It is amazing how this was overlooked as a factory certified pre owned. Unless they did not want to get involved with opening the motor before it sold. Again pretty lousy.

Well let’s hope you get it fixed soon and on the road. The truck is otherwise a lot of fun.