Weird Noises on Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Next question. Where is the build date of the truck? Or better yet is it the build date of the engine?

I imagine the Vin might have the truck build date?

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found it. Took my Vin to ford etis sight to get the info. My truck was built 8/13/2019. So it looks to have hopefully made the cutoff for the redesign. It’s barely a 1k mike motor at this point, but it’s quieter than a sewing machine.

Can you comment on the new designs reliability thus far?

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found it. Took my Vin to ford etis sight to get the info. My truck was built 8/13/2019. So it looks to have hopefully made the cutoff for the redesign. It’s barely a 1k mike motor at this point, but it’s quieter than a sewing machine.

Can you comment on the new designs reliability thus far?

How did you get the build date? I put my VIN in the website but it doesn't really tell me anything about it ...

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to register yourself and build a profile on the site. Eventually I got all the truck information. It’s not the most straight forward site I have used.

It will display the build date DD/MM/YYYY format.

OP
OP
RaptorStoia

RaptorStoia

Reaction score
All - Quick update. Ray Skillman Ford in Greenwood Indiana looked at the truck and will be replacing 4 VCT solenoids on my truck to hopefully correct the issue. Parts are on backorder for 30 days. @FordTechOne do you see this as the appropriate fix in your opinion?

Thanks,
Nick

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to register yourself and build a profile on the site. Eventually I got all the truck information. It’s not the most straight forward site I have used.

It will display the build date DD/MM/YYYY format.
Thanks! I jumped through all the hoops and looks like mine was built in late May so I guess it's past the cutoff

Last edited:

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have listened to other videos of those who reportedly have the cam phaser issue, but I am still uncertain as to whether I am hearing that noise, something else , or just a normal sound for an F150. While it sounds like the cam phaser noise to me, my truck was built on 4/12/19 which is several days passed the date when the issue was supposedly addressed by Ford on the assembly line (4/8/19). Here is how my truck sounded this morning on a cold start. I thought it could potentially be a heat shield or something similar, but the noise goes away fairly quickly and is non-existent when the truck has been warmed up.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have listened to other videos of those who reportedly have the cam phaser issue, but I am still uncertain as to whether I am hearing that noise, something else , or just a normal sound for an F150. While it sounds like the cam phaser noise to me, my truck was built on 4/12/19 which is several days passed the date when the issue was supposedly addressed by Ford on the assembly line (4/8/19). Here is how my truck sounded this morning on a cold start. I thought it could potentially be a heat shield or something similar, but the noise goes away fairly quickly and is non-existent when the truck has been warmed up.

Mine also makes that noise but it is after a much louder rattle. Do you hear a loud rattle before that?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine also makes that noise but it is after a much louder rattle. Do you hear a loud rattle before that?

I don't think I hear anything louder than that. My phone is probably not picking everything up, but that is pretty much what I am hearing until the car runs for a little bit.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I don't know that 4 days qualifies as "several", but that's a different discussion.

Based on that video, I'd agree that your noise is more like a heat shield or maybe the wastegate. Another "known issues" with these engines is apparently some amount of wastegate rattle especially when cold. Mine does it for maybe the first 20 seconds and then it goes away. Someone posted a video once showing the ECU cycling the wastegate part of the startup so I presume that's all that's happening.