Weird Noises on Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorStoia

Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum and am looking for some guidance. I have a 2017 Raptor with 50k miles. For some time now, the truck has been making some weird noises on a cold start, as well as after the truck has been sitting for 10 minutes and then restarted. Any ideas? My local dealer has said there is nothing wrong after multiple visits, but I find it hard to believe this is a standard sound. I would like to figure this out before the manufactures warranty is completely up. Thanks!

Last edited:

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your local dealer either has no clue what's going on or is just trying to ******** you. You clearly have a problem with the cam phasers.

OP
OP
RaptorStoia

RaptorStoia

Reaction score
Thanks all. I've made an appointment with Ray Skillman Performance Ford in Greenwood, IN. Hoping this new dealership will work with me to get this fixed.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is the question ...... I have a 2019 with 10K miles that makes the exact same noise. How much damage has been done, or could have been done, assuming it started doing this from almost new?

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is the question ...... I have a 2019 with 10K miles that makes the exact same noise. How much damage has been done, or could have been done, assuming it started doing this from almost new?

the only way to know is when they tare open the front of your truck to look. I've never heard of a EcoBoost doing that from the beginning though, but if yours is making the same noise I recommend you record it like RaptorStoia and get it fixed asap.

sorry to hear your Gen 2 is giving you problems Stoia, been there.. it's a ******* pain.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

In this case, none. The noise is the result of the cam phasers "parking" improperly. When you start the engine the phasers should be at 0 degrees (locked pin). If the phasers park improperly due to a defect (as in this case) they will rattle on startup as oil pressure reaches the VCT units. There is a TSB for the issue that includes updated cam phasers.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this case, none. The noise is the result of the cam phasers "parking" improperly. When you start the engine the phasers should be at 0 degrees (locked pin). If the phasers park improperly due to a defect (as in this case) they will rattle on startup as oil pressure reaches the VCT units. There is a TSB for the issue that includes updated cam phasers.

Thanks for the response. I thought there might be an oil delivery issue that would cause harm over time if not corrected. That said, aside from sounding like crap, are there long term issues if not fixed?

Edge-st

Reaction score
Still waiting to hear back from Klaben in Ohio. The service manager did indicate that Ford should have a fix forth quarter. The engine service indicator light is on and off.... I can tell when the engine service light will come on based on how it sounds when it starts... Still runs fine when the light is on....

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the cam phaser noise sounds like a really loud Diesel upon startup? Meaning you would know for sure if yours are failing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter