Weird spot on paint by sunroof. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butterz

Reaction score
Just sprayed the truck down after all the rains here in San Diego and saw this mark on the paint I’ve never seen before. It’s up front on the passenger side by the sunroof.

Anyone have any ideas? Will call the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. Hopefully it’s covered by the paint protection warranty? It’s smooth but looks really bad. IMG_3397.jpeg

slade8

Reaction score
That's a nasty stain. You would need to cut it(cutting pad) out of the clearcoat before it makes into the paint if it already hasn't. Hard to tell from the picture but a compound or cutting agent using hand power might remove it.

OP
OP
B

Butterz

Reaction score
Thanks! It does seem liked it got absorbed or something because it’s super smooth. A friend suggested it could be from heat since the only thing I had do so far is have all the glass tinted.

Will get it to the dealership tomorrow and see if that paint protection plan covers it before doing doing anything myself.

Another pic of it under sunlight just after wiping the truck dry.
IMG_3396.jpeg

MidnightSpecial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did they tint your sunroof? A heat gun left on might cause some damage to the clear. Outside of that its just a paint defect. Get ready to fight that one if you have a shady dealer.

slade8

Reaction score
Hate to think it but that could be a vinegar (cleaning solution) stain from a spray bottle the tint dudes set on the roof. Probably not but you did mention work being done recently and it would've been clear and not noticeable until it had time to penatrate. Hope you get it fixed.

OP
OP
B

Butterz

Reaction score
Yea had the sunroof tinted and windshield tinted as well. I didn’t see this spot when washing the truck after the first visit. I did have to take it back and have the windshield and sides redone though. It’s been about 2 weeks since then and this is the first time washing the truck since.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea had the sunroof tinted and windshield tinted as well. I didn’t see this spot when washing the truck after the first visit. I did have to take it back and have the windshield and sides redone though. It’s been about 2 weeks since then and this is the first time washing the truck since.
Windshield redone? That means they definitely used a heat gun and burned your paint.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
woof, id bring it up with the people who tinted your truck asap.

I also got stains in my door from them doing tint, not bad but annoying since my lightning interior was pretty damn immaculate.