Sunroof problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill Giles

Reaction score
Merry Christmas Raptor Family!

I have a 2019 SCAB 801A with ~15,000 miles. I rarely use the sunroof and the other day I opened it, slid back with no issues. When I tried to close it made a loud snap sound on the left side track and a piece of black plastic bounced into the cab. Scared the crap out of me! After that the sunroof would not close. It kept "recoiling" back to open when it was almost closed. I finally got it closed by tapping the "close button". It closed with no abnorla sound or grinding. I took it to the dealership to check it out. I was told they could open it up and "diagnose" it BUT if they needed to order parts AND couldn't get it closed back up we would have a problem as it has been raining a lot here in SoCal. SInce it is closed and not leaking I elected to wait for a couple weeks of clear weather. It is covered by warranty but my question for the Raptor Braintrust is "any ideas what happened or what this piece (see picture) is from?". Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 75

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I believe that is a moon roof track guide and wait for it, I studied for just this moment: it’s broken.
Welcome to the F150 broken moon roof track club. The membership is vast.

I’d leave the moonroof closed until they have the replacement parts in stock. MAKE SURE that they don’t give the parts to someone else. This is a very common breakage, so chances are when the tracks come in, there may very well be another F150 waiting for the same parts, while you’re waiting for the service dept. to call you saying ‘hey your parts are in’.

Once they replace the moon roof track/assembly, you can prevent this failure from reoccurring by
1) pop the moonroof to vent position first, always.
2) lower from vent.
3) move panel rearward.

lube the rubber to glass gasket/seal with Ford’s exclusive Krytox grease. expensive, but a little goes a long way and it works.

Open the moonroof regularly, even if you aren’t going to use it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
X2 ^^^ very common repair, should be a no brainer for your dealer. Regular maintenance is required on the pano roofs, get some of the Ford lube when you take it in for the warranty work.

OP
OP
Bill Giles

Bill Giles

Reaction score
Smurfslayer and CoronaRaptor, thank you for your insight. I really appreciate it and will follow your protocol.

-Bill

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have a 2019 SCAB 801A with ~15,000 miles. I rarely use the sunroof and the other day I opened it, slid back with no issues. When I tried to close it made a loud snap sound on the left side track and a piece of black plastic bounced into the cab. Scared the crap out of me! After that the sunroof would not close. It kept "recoiling" back to open when it was almost closed. I finally got it closed by tapping the "close button". It closed with no abnorla sound or grinding. I took it to the dealership to check it out. I was told they could open it up and "diagnose" it BUT if they needed to order parts AND couldn't get it closed back up we would have a problem as it has been raining a lot here in SoCal. SInce it is closed and not leaking I elected to wait for a couple weeks of clear weather. It is covered by warranty but my question for the Raptor Braintrust is "any ideas what happened or what this piece (see picture) is from?". Thanks
Mine broke. $3000 covered by extended warranty. I asked them to have the lube that was leftover and they wouldn’t give it to me. Stuff is very expensive. I think they know if I don’t live it I will be back in a couple years to line their pockets again.

Steve DeVito

Reaction score

Just happened to me on my 2018. I am out of factory warranty but have a 3rd party extended warranty with no deductible. Bringing it in for diagnostics 1/10 which I have to pay for myself. I found some black plastic pieces in the track which was stopping the glass from closing. Keeping it closed until fixed. Many threads on here that reference the track. Saw some videos on YouTube about it. Hopefully it is covered and the replacement parts are better quality. Good luck!

2ndFord

Reaction score
I believe that is a moon roof track guide and wait for it, I studied for just this moment: it’s broken.
Welcome to the F150 broken moon roof track club. The membership is vast.

I’d leave the moonroof closed until they have the replacement parts in stock. MAKE SURE that they don’t give the parts to someone else. This is a very common breakage, so chances are when the tracks come in, there may very well be another F150 waiting for the same parts, while you’re waiting for the service dept. to call you saying ‘hey your parts are in’.

Once they replace the moon roof track/assembly, you can prevent this failure from reoccurring by
1) pop the moonroof to vent position first, always.
2) lower from vent.
3) move panel rearward.

lube the rubber to glass gasket/seal with Ford’s exclusive Krytox grease. expensive, but a little goes a long way and it works.

Open the moonroof regularly, even if you aren’t going to use it.
Mine's an '18 and I've had a broken track, some other part failure, and had to have it reprogrammed twice when the thing refused to shut.... glass would slide forward, then bounce back to full open once the "closed" point was reached.

Very important to "pop" to vent and then close before trying to retract.

Still I'm happy I have the twin panel. Lets the heat out after it's been parked in the sun, and I prefer to drive with it open as opposed to running A/C.

HOWEVER - Since I have had problems with it I have followed this subject closely on FRF. I went to the parts counter at my local Ford Dealer and asked for this "Krytox" stuff and they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Said they'd never heard of it. Also said as long as I kept it lubed with SOMETHING I should have no warranty issues. So I've used Aladdin "Magic Lube", a PFTE-based lubricant/sealant. Water proof, non-melting, suitable for wet or dry environments, temp range 0-425F. Had this stuff laying around for pool gaskets, have used it on food service equipment and sports drink lid mechanisms too (non-toxic and rated for those applications). Anyone have on opinion on continuing to use this to lube the rubber-to-glass gasket??? Comments appreciated.

Also, as to the parts counter person having never heard of "Krytox", maybe I need to hit the counter on a different day. Tried to but wiper blades there once while the truck was in for an oil change, and was told they didn't carry them. On my next visit they did have them. Maybe it's the same for Krytox, depends on the day of the week and the counter person you get.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score

Camarillo....just down the way from me. Oxnard.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for those who’ve had a broken roof: Does your Raptor spend the majority of its life outdoors? Subjected to hot sun or cold temps on a regular basis? Garaged at night? Garaged/covered at work? Curious to understand patterns involved. I use my roof all the time and have yet to have an issue. Mine is garaged or under cover most of the time when it’s not being driven or parked in open lots.