Sunroof problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Mine was outside most of the time, not a particularly dusty or dirty environment, and as many others before me, mine broke while opening, after a long period of inactivity. Let’s say 3-6 weeks as a guesstimate.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was outside most of the time, not a particularly dusty or dirty environment, and as many others before me, mine broke while opening, after a long period of inactivity. Let’s say 3-6 weeks as a guesstimate.
Btw, I think I ordered a non-Ford brand of sunroof lube that you had recommended months ago. Can’t recall the brand at the moment. Hoping that is still a good option.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
you can get the Krytox stuff on Amazon if you need it. The bottom line is anything lube wise is better than nothing for the moonroof seals. If you can keep the glass from sticking and overwhelming the track mechanism, you won’t suffer the breakage. Well, at least you’ll be far less likely to break it than if you never lube the seals.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a very common problem with the moon roof not only with the Raptors but with any vehicle that's equip with room roof because that rubber weather gasket that goes between the two glass panel get dirt in between them and it'll take a lot to get them unstuck and then the little arm breaks. It happened to my 2017 and luckily it was under warranty. They replace the whole moonroof track system and now I lube the gasket with that expensive weather gasket lube two, three times a year. There's a forum here on the moonroof problem.

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
I believe that is a moon roof track guide and wait for it, I studied for just this moment: it’s broken.
Welcome to the F150 broken moon roof track club. The membership is vast.

I’d leave the moonroof closed until they have the replacement parts in stock. MAKE SURE that they don’t give the parts to someone else. This is a very common breakage, so chances are when the tracks come in, there may very well be another F150 waiting for the same parts, while you’re waiting for the service dept. to call you saying ‘hey your parts are in’.

Once they replace the moon roof track/assembly, you can prevent this failure from reoccurring by
1) pop the moonroof to vent position first, always.
2) lower from vent.
3) move panel rearward.

lube the rubber to glass gasket/seal with Ford’s exclusive Krytox grease. expensive, but a little goes a long way and it works.

Open the moonroof regularly, even if you aren’t going to use it.
I have found that the dealers in my area of NC do not carry that grease for some reason. They do the lube of the seals with other grease.

Chris retired grunt

Reaction score
you can get the Krytox stuff on Amazon if you need it. The bottom line is anything lube wise is better than nothing for the moonroof seals. If you can keep the glass from sticking and overwhelming the track mechanism, you won’t suffer the breakage. Well, at least you’ll be far less likely to break it than if you never lube the seals.
I always vent 1st then close and then open. I have heard that either use the sunroof or don’t use it. I always open it at least once a week.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
when I was in NoVA, my local stealership would lube the moonroof with the proper, expensive Krytox grease upon request. I requested the same here in TX and they were like “Bless your heart. That stuff is 80 dollars a bottle, son, so that will be $60 all in to lube the moonroof as part of the service”.

I offered to supply them Krytox at a reduced rate ;-)

cubsalltheway

Reaction score
Tried all dealers in Austin area and they all said it would be weeks before they would be able to look at it
Got parts from Sunroofdoctor and did it myself. Took 40 mins and works great