Weight Reduction potential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blu Bug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the doors and replace with nets
Remove rear window
Remove running boards
Remove front fender liners
Remove gas tank and use motorcycle tank
Remove passenger seat
Remove bed

Everything can be remounted later

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I had (a LOT more) $ I'd get someone to draw up and build a tube frame chassis and hang the lighter Gen 2 aluminum cab on it. Set the 3.5 ecoboost/6R80 behind the driver, use an IRS transaxle (with 20" of travel), center mount front A-arms with 20+" travel, run 35" BFG Mud tires, and set it up for short course-style & prerunning, rather than some heavy full kill desert truck. End up with a truly lightweight 2-seater that would look like a factory truck, be a blast to drive, could be registered in a few states, and you might find customers who want you to build them one or buy yours.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I had (a LOT more) $ I'd get someone to draw up and build a tube frame chassis and hang the lighter Gen 2 aluminum cab on it. Set the 3.5 ecoboost/6R80 behind the driver, use an IRS transaxle (with 20" of travel), center mount front A-arms with 20+" travel, run 35" BFG Mud tires, and set it up for short course-style & prerunning, rather than some heavy full kill desert truck. End up with a truly lightweight 2-seater that would look like a factory truck, be a blast to drive, could be registered in a few states, and you might find customers who want you to build them one or buy yours.
$300,000 easy!

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if you will see much gain shedding a couple hundred pounds. In a drag race where you have to get all 6000lbs rolling, yes you may shave a tenth, but overall daily driving probably not.
Plus you are already going the wrong direction with tubular front bumper and 37's.. Do you have 3.0 and Deavers? cuz thats also in the +plus weight department.
Too be honest, adding some weight out back has made my truck better off-road. Unless I could completely redesign the truck and shed 1200-1500 lbs, I dont think a couple hundred here or there changes much.If I could I would hang another 2-300lbs a foot past the rear bumper to get weight distribution better..lol

OP
OP
bubbarob

bubbarob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if you will see much gain shedding a couple hundred pounds. In a drag race where you have to get all 6000lbs rolling, yes you may shave a tenth, but overall daily driving probably not.
Plus you are already going the wrong direction with tubular front bumper and 37's.. Do you have 3.0 and Deavers? cuz thats also in the +plus weight department.
Too be honest, adding some weight out back has made my truck better off-road. Unless I could completely redesign the truck and shed 1200-1500 lbs, I dont think a couple hundred here or there changes much.If I could I would hang another 2-300lbs a foot past the rear bumper to get weight distribution better..lol
3.0 up front and will do deaver and 3.0 in rear. (realize that will go against me but will improve driving dynamics)
Agree with you on the weight distribution comment, but I'm assuming that dropping 600 lbs from the truck will absolutley improve the characteristics.

Playing devils advocate, instead of adding weight off the rear in your example, taking 500lbs off the front would be even better