Weak Engine Braking??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven many mountain passes and steep hills since owning this truck. and I've noticed that engine braking sucks on my Raptor. Is this a common feature for this engine / truck or just an issue w/ my truck? lol

I played w/ the down shifts on a recent trip back from Big Bear. Downshifting from 8th gear at 60 mph and not the steepest grade, I was in 4th gear before I felt any real braking. Even shifting down to 2nd gear, I didn't feel comfortable w/ the truck controlling its speed.

I rode 1st gear down a steep hill and the truck wanted to run away.

Do I need to have something checked out?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven many mountain passes and steep hills since owning this truck. and I've noticed that engine braking sucks on my Raptor. Is this a common feature for this engine / truck or just an issue w/ my truck? lol

I played w/ the down shifts on a recent trip back from Big Bear. Downshifting from 8th gear at 60 mph and not the steepest grade, I was in 4th gear before I felt any real braking. Even shifting down to 2nd gear, I didn't feel comfortable w/ the truck controlling its speed.

Mine never really brakes hard and just remember the Raptors are very heavy trucks. I mean if you feel that you should take it in take it in, just in my experience engine braking isn't a bragging point and it won't engine brake like a diesel.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have plenty of engine braking at 5000rpm on any pavement in Colorado. Off road in Utah once I had to use low range to keep her from running away without cooking the brakes. But that was a crazy steep hill.

OP
OP
Gibsonm21

Gibsonm21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No replacement for displacement.
A 6.2 or 5.0 will have more engine braking.
3.5, not so much.
Sometimes I use Tow Haul Mode for a bit more engine braking.
I suspected this, but wasn't sure. Does engine braking improve in 4L at least?

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the 3.5 won’t help as much as the 6.2. The extra drag from the extra two cylinders is at least 1/3 more engine brake. Not saying 6.2 will stop you 1/3 faster because the 6.2 weighs more and there is more some more to stop. but definitely more engine brake. The gears on the 10 speed are so close to gather in ratios that you would have to be in 6th or less at Highway speeds Under 30mph I use 4L