Weak Engine Braking??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does manual shifting have to do with engine braking, please explain.
Lower gears, more braking. Manual mode lets you choose your gear and thus the amount of braking. Tow/haul holds the gear on a downhill until you hit the gas. Manual mode lets you up shift when you want, like when you see the grade dropping. It's a bit of a fine tune, but as a 55 year veteran of manuals, I am a bit picky. I use manual mode for 99% of my off road adventuring.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the engine braking on the 3.5 is pretty weak. On a particularly steep decent near home I was all the way into 1st and up to 5k rpm. Still had to tap the brakes now and then. If the hill had been any longer I would have had to go 4 low.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Ford made it this way and less stress on the drivetrain. Beside’s it’s a small V6 and braking will only come from the gearing. Not to mention less drivetrain drag increase mileage etc. just my thoughts.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think Ford made it this way and less stress on the drivetrain. Beside’s it’s a small V6 and braking will only come from the gearing. Not to mention less drivetrain drag increase mileage etc. just my thoughts.
Ford made it that way because EPA and squeezing every last drop out of fuel economy. To hell with the brakes, gimme mileage. In a world without the EPA, Normal mode would be what's now called Tow/haul and Tow/haul wouldn't exist.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford made it that way because EPA and squeezing every last drop out of fuel economy. To hell with the brakes, gimme mileage. In a world without the EPA, Normal mode would be what's now called Tow/haul and Tow/haul wouldn't exist.
Very true! I still think tow/haul mode is good but somewhat clunky as well. Think Ford loosened the eco standards on the Gen 3 some for a better tune and trans shifting as well. They also had to. They must have got a lot of complaints from the Gen 2 peeps.

Raptor R needs to come tuned balls to the wall or they can keep that thing lol

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Raptor R needs to come tuned balls to the wall or they can keep that thing lol
That's for sure. But I won't be buying one unless it has good range ... which means I'm just a spectator. :) Besides, 450hp is just right for me. Enough zip to pass on the hills but not enough to get into real trouble unintentionally. Although with all the modern traction control stuff, maybe that's not an issue any more. But the 600 mile range ... that would be hard to give up. 500? Maybe. 400? No way. TRX numbers? I'd buy a Taco first. And I hate Tacos.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's for sure. But I won't be buying one unless it has good range ... which means I'm just a spectator. :) Besides, 450hp is just right for me. Enough zip to pass on the hills but not enough to get into real trouble unintentionally. Although with all the modern traction control stuff, maybe that's not an issue any more. But the 600 mile range ... that would be hard to give up. 500? Maybe. 400? No way. TRX numbers? I'd buy a Taco first. And I hate Tacos.
The lure of power the bragging rights and those who truly just like to have and use it. The R is hopefully something and Ford has to know in order to keep the R serious about being off road it needs range. Or it’s just another Saturday night special.

I do agree the 3.5 Raptor is still a great machine to this day. Still has good power and performance and awesome range. The R to come was probably the reason why Ford didn’t bother to bump the power to even 500HP.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pissed as a wet hen when I found out the delays on the R but when the opportunity came for the Raptor I have my feelings have changed. The 450hp gets this 7K lbs truck around like it weighs half that and will go the 500 on a tank if I take care of her. After owning this girl, I would not want to deal with the extra weight and much poorer milage (hp=guzzle!) and as K223 says for what? Bragging rights? That "right" wears off pretty darn quick. "Oh ya well I could get that kind of milage out of the 700hp model" ....maybe but then why have it if you drive in Prius mode all the time?