WARNING! Look at your rockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Smith21

Reaction score
Well after a day of back and forth from this service manager to the next and being told FoMoCo will not cover the premature rusting due to the fact that I had gotten them sandblasted to try and prevent further rusting from their lack of quality control, I finally got a little bit of assistance from my local dealership who will be talking with the owners to eat some if not all the costs to replace my rotten rockers due to FoMoCo's stringent warranty policies. So while all this was taking place I also went to their body shop to get a rough estimate as to cost to replace all out of pocket to be shocked. The quote I received was $1800. They claim there are no rocker replacements only the entire frame around the doors including the rockers (super cab) so they would need to cut out the rotten pieces and bend new sheet metal to shape and then replace. Needless to say today had been a shit show to say the least and I hope nobody else on this board is having the same issues as me. I'd say go take a look at your rockers and do not touch them before taking to a dealer to discuss, don't even remove your side steps because FoMoCo will try and use it against you.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really sucks. I had a similar issue with my Chevy. I spotted rust after 1 year on the bottom of the doors and the rockers. Chevy said it wasn't covered only if it was a through hole. I had to contemplate either trying to prevent the rust myself or let it rot and hope it goes through in 6 years.

****** situation man. Good luck.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't have the same problems with ford trying to avoid covering stuff under warranty, I got my alignment covered, not only did I have a nice dent in my skid plate, but I also didn't have alignment coverage for my truck, lol

OP
OP
S

Smith21

Reaction score
Them doing a service that doesn't require any parts or materials leaving the shop is easy to brush off from a dealers point of view. When parts and materials are involved FoMoCo requires digital images before approving a warranty claim to make their decision.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless they changed their process for warranty claims in the last 6 months that's not true, warranty claims are basically risk assessments for each dealership service department, they look at the vehicle and try to determine if there is anything that might cause ford to deny the warranty claim, if they either A) determine there are no reasons that ford would deny the claim for or B) decide that the risk of covering the repairs anyways and taking the chance that they are not going to get paid back by ford for the warranty claim is worth making the customer happy they will cover the repairs, I can't remember exactly, but I believe it was about a month between when warranty repairs are done and when ford processes the claim and decides whether they will pay the dealership for the warranty repairs

OP
OP
S

Smith21

Reaction score
Well finally got a glimmer of good news late last night. My dealership had decided to call the high ups on my situation and were told to submit the digital imaging and details of the situation for a warranty claim but with no guarantee of coverage. Well last night I got a call from my dealer to tell me that FoMoCo is now covering the repair bill 100%. So warning to all check your rockers and bring them in if their bad. You may not think they can be affected due to your running boards being as protective as they are but they are still being subject to a lot of abuse especially off-roading.

OP
OP
S

Smith21

Reaction score
Ford is sending my dealer a complete rocker, which is the complete ring around the doors on the super cab and my dealer is going to cut what is needed from that rocker section.