Volant issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigsplash

Reaction score
So, I installed a Volant CAI with power core filter and am air induction a couple months ao, and I have to admit I am disappointed so far.

The engine sound improved, that is the positive. That said, I do have an annoying, what I an only refer to as a 'drone bark', each time I touch the gas. Drone sound from an exhaust us annoying, I am sure you all agree. Well, anytime I apply any pressure the the gas pedal, I get an immediate drone sound. Anyone else experiencing this?

Most importantly, for me, I have noticed almost a full 1mpg decrease in fuel economy. With the factory set up, splitting tanks between 87 and 93 octane, I was up to a solid 13.9 mpg. With the Volant,I am struggling to stay at 13.1 mpg, running solely 93 octane. With factory, cruising at 80 mph I was steadily averaging better than my 13.9 rolling average. Now, same speed and control, I am below the 13.1 average.

Does any of this make sense to you all? Do you think I could have installed something wrong? I just can't believe, especially after the glowing reviews I read on this forum (other than installation, which is a b@tch), the efficiency of my engine would decrease with an increase in free air induction.
:snoopfacepalm:
Thoughts?

I have sent pics and queries to Volant about the poor fit up (which I posted here previously) only to get no response.

Cheers to all!

Splash

Red

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How many miles have you gone through since you installed it? It takes the computer time to adjust to the increased air flow.

OP
OP
bigsplash

bigsplash

Reaction score
i have gone through about 2,000 miles or so since installation. My truck is almost at 5,000 miles, so comparison is about half factory and half Volant.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. A cai does not increase air, only way to increase air is to install a bigger mass flow and a bigger throttle body, or pressurize the system(turbo, supercharger)
2. If you are driving around in city traffic your truck is drawing hot underhood air the PCM senses this and reduces the timing. Especially with the AC on. Hot air is less dense than cold air.
With less dense intake air you need more throttle to get moving.
The only these cai systems work is when you get up to speed on the road and the underhood air temp had stabilized. Untill you stabilize the underhood air you will net get better performance or better fuel mileage. Thats the facts...

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need a Tune for a C.A.I.!!!!!!!!!!

The stock calibration it not setup for a CAI

The truck's PCM doesn't know what to do with the extra air through out the RPM range.
It's going to want to throw extra fuel into the mix to achieve the correct Air/Fuel Ratio.

Mike a 5 Star is your best option. MPG, Power and shift points are all greatly improved!!!

There are plenty of discussions about this, on this great forum! Use the search tool at the top.

Last edited:

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need a Tune for a C.A.I.!!!!!!!!!!

The stock calibration it not setup for a CAI

The truck's PCM doesn't know what to do with the extra air through out the RPM range.

Mike a 5 Star is your best option

MTF is right. With out the tune you do run the chance of running the a/f mixture a bit leaner from what I have read.

Did you take off your battery cable in order to reset your ECM? This could also help your fuel mileage.

Did you get the "ram" air tube? If not did you close up the second hole in the volant inside the engine bay?

Personally I am finishing my install with a MBRP cat bak and a tune from mike. This should give me the best overall performance.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Volans issues?

I also installed a Volant. The reason, IMO, is with this and other CAI's, the "intake baffle's" are removed and you'll get the drone with any full intake tube CAI. I installed a Volant on my 10' 5.4 and had the same drone at around 2k rpm's as my 13 does now, the 5.4 picked up fuel mileage. The 13' stayed about the same. I ran a tank of 87 out then 2 tanks of 93 before I installed a custom tune. I was getting about 13.9 with CAI alone, went to around 14.5 after tune mixed city/hwy driving not sure on sustained hwy miles yet but was getting 17 on instant mpg, doesn't mean anything. Need to run a bit more with new tune and higher grade fuel.

Although the stock intake tube diameter is the same size as CAI tubes, the intake horn on the filter box is smaller, and therefor is restrictive. The "Growl" is half the reason to put a CAI on! Lol. You do need to tune your Raptor to truly benefit the CAI. The Volant may or may not be (owners choice) one of the better CAI's, I like the fact that they have a sealed box, not a open top trash catcher, is built well and comes with real hardware and if you add the snorkel, it pulls all its air from outside the engine compartment. Just my observations and 2 cents.

The ROUSH CAI and K&N (which looks to be about the same thing to me) retains the baffle and you may want to see if those guys have the drone. I just don't dig the open tops to much.

Last edited:

BRONCOBOY1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Volant set up out of the box drove me crazy, it's too loud and I am not a boy toy racer runnning around wanting everyone to look at me! I running the Volant (power core)with the stock intake tube, the ram air snorkle and a 5 star tune. This has eliminated the part throttle drone, it has a healthy intake noise when your on it but is almost as quiet as stock crusing. With the 5 star tune on 87 perf and the truck loaded with three guys and chase parts for the Vegas to Reno race I averaged 15.3 on my way to Vegas from so cal. Speed for the trip was cruise set at 76 gps said 78 and only one stop, I'm happy with that