GEN 2 Very important-engine shutoff not auto start/stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hill1962

Reaction score
Just to be more specific about my original post.... I don’t leave my dog in the truck unattended... I ran into Starbucks with locked car left running AC on high... got coffee came out and ran into a friend and we were standing by my truck talking when it just shut off! This is a crap feature that should not exist AND almost nobody knows about it, you will only find out about it after it happens to you.........will your groceries get warm OR will something you really care about be effected? Life happens and sometimes, not often you may need to leave that truck run for whatever reason.... your sitting in it and have a heart attack and can’t move! Whatever!!! Just be aware of it....
We’ve done the same thing with our dog simply because we take him on trips and most restaurants don’t allow pets!!! Some people just don’t get it!!!

southof30A

Reaction score
Since i'm not stupid enough to keep a pet in a warm car, i'm glad there's an auto shut off feature.
So how about when I happen to be road tripping across Wyoming in the winter @-10F - shouldn't my dog be able to be warm while I stop in Rock Springs and eat dinner? Or when I have to go to a drilling rig and maybe spend an hour outside of the truck?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So how about when I happen to be road tripping across Wyoming in the winter @-10F - shouldn't my dog be able to be warm while I stop in Rock Springs and eat dinner? Or when I have to go to a drilling rig and maybe spend an hour outside of the truck?

If you're going to road trip in extreme weather conditions and compound that bad idea with another bad idea by keeping something alive in an unattended vehicle, then make sure you do your due diligence and know how your equipment functions.

Exactly how much of your own negligence do you want Ford to be responsible for?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If a dog just has to be along for the ride, maybe you should look into Subarus- they are all about the dog crowd.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the OP for the info.
I did not realize that our trucks would turn off after 20 minutes of idle.

As far as leaving a pet in the car on a hot summer day..... I don’t see a problem as long as the AC is running.

But going to a Starbucks I don’t see the need.
Overrated and overpriced coffee.
And the place is usually full of left sided idiots.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every car I've ever had w/ remote start (unless we're talking back in the '90's in highschool w/ a beater cavalier) - will shut down after about 20 mins as you stated. There are numerous reasons for this - protecting warranty/hard parts (idling for days on end in the event the truck is accidentally started w/ a full 36 gallons in the tank), keeping from filling up a closed parking area/garage w/ carbon monoxide after inadvertently starting a vehicle and/or forgetting to shut it off, not pissing fuel away for no good reason - call it environmentalism or whatever its just a waste.

When my dogs in the car if its 80 or under shes just getting windows open & her bowl of water & I will park in a shaded spot, over 80 shes either coming w/ or I'll leave the truck on w/ keys in it & AC on....now that I think of it couldn't you just lock the truck w/ the keys in the ignition & AC on then unlock it w/ the touchpad when you return?

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every car I've ever had w/ remote start (unless we're talking back in the '90's in highschool w/ a beater cavalier) - will shut down after about 20 mins as you stated. There are numerous reasons for this - protecting warranty/hard parts (idling for days on end in the event the truck is accidentally started w/ a full 36 gallons in the tank), keeping from filling up a closed parking area/garage w/ carbon monoxide after inadvertently starting a vehicle and/or forgetting to shut it off, not pissing fuel away for no good reason - call it environmentalism or whatever its just a waste.

When my dogs in the car if its 80 or under shes just getting windows open & her bowl of water & I will park in a shaded spot, over 80 shes either coming w/ or I'll leave the truck on w/ keys in it & AC on....now that I think of it couldn't you just lock the truck w/ the keys in the ignition & AC on then unlock it w/ the touchpad when you return?

Truck will attempt to shut down even if you are sitting in it with the key, if it is idling and not moving. It prompts that a shutdown is about to occur, and you can cancel the shutdown if you wish.

FROM THE MANUAL.

Automatic Engine Shutdown
If your vehicle is equipped with a keyless
ignition, it has a feature that automatically
shuts down the engine if it has been idling
for an extended period. The ignition also
turns off in order to save battery power.
Before the engine shuts down, a message
appears in the information display showing
a timer counting down from 30 seconds.
If you do not intervene within 30 seconds,
the engine shuts down. Another message
appears in the information display to
inform you that the engine has shut down
in order to save fuel. Start your vehicle as
you normally do.
Automatic Engine Shutdown Override
Note: You cannot permanently switch off
the automatic engine shutdown feature.