VDM Module Replacement - As-Built Values?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drivin2Fst

Reaction score
I've been having issues on my '20 with the Live Valve suspension. Specifically at about 15k miles my truck started riding really harsh. My dealership said they could not get the truck to read it's own ride height and believed that was putting the suspension into the harshest setting. They replaced the VDM and were still having issues. They then replaced both front ride height sensors and the solenoids on all of the shocks but couldn't get the computer to finalize the download for programming. I continue to have the harsh ride issue.

Today I was in Forscan and noticed that a couple of the values in the VDM module were different than the as-built values that I had saved from the original programming. Should the new VDM module have the same values as the as-built values from the original VDM? I couldn't find any additional information in Forscan but am wondering if that is what could be causing my issues.

Thanks!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a gross misdiagnosis; they've essentially replaced the entire system and still haven't resolved the issue. The vast majority of programming issues are the result of the technician not using a battery charger or having a poor internet connection and/or firewall issues. To my knowledge there have not been any updates to the VDM, so the As-Built you have saved should match the current As-Built. You might want to try changing the As-Built back to factory using ForScan and see if the system functions properly.

OP
OP
Drivin2Fst

Drivin2Fst

Reaction score
Sounds like a gross misdiagnosis; they've essentially replaced the entire system and still haven't resolved the issue. The vast majority of programming issues are the result of the technician not using a battery charger or having a poor internet connection and/or firewall issues. To my knowledge there have not been any updates to the VDM, so the As-Built you have saved should match the current As-Built. You might want to try changing the As-Built back to factory using ForScan and see if the system functions properly.

Thanks! I just want to be sure that the new module shouldn't be programmed differently than the original module. I'll try reverting the VDM back to the original As-Built programming that I saved and see if that takes care of my issues.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Man, it's nice having someone with your depth of knowledge on the site! FordTechOne for president!!!

OP
OP
Drivin2Fst

Drivin2Fst

Reaction score

Have you seen Live Valve issues and VDM replacement solving it? I updated the new VDM with the original as-built values and now Forscan is reading ride height and other sensors in the VDM. I took a quick drive and it feels better. Is the VDM and solenoids/ride height sensors known for issues?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen Live Valve issues and VDM replacement solving it? I updated the new VDM with the original as-built values and now Forscan is reading ride height and other sensors in the VDM. I took a quick drive and it feels better. Is the VDM and solenoids/ride height sensors known for issues?

No, not any common issues. It sounds like the VDM was the root cause and the dealer just programmed it incorrectly.

OP
OP
Drivin2Fst

Drivin2Fst

Reaction score
No, not any common issues. It sounds like the VDM was the root cause and the dealer just programmed it incorrectly.

Went for a longer drive today and it's still awful. Unrelated but now the bottom of the truck is covered in oil as well, had that changed by the dealership last week. Going back to the dealer again...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Went for a longer drive today and it's still awful. Unrelated but now the bottom of the truck is covered in oil as well, had that changed by the dealership last week. Going back to the dealer again...

Sorry to hear that. Have you run a Self-Test on the VDM with ForScan?