Value of our raptors after v8 debut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to the original topic, pricing on the GT500 just came out. Base price in the $70s. After destination and gas guzzler, a stripped GT500 will be more than $80k. Add in some options and the MSRP clears $100k. And that is for a Mustang. No doubt the SC Raptor will be even more expensive. Will a $100k V8 Raptor affect the resale value of my 2-year-old Raptor that's worth something like $60k? Absolutely not.

Agreed

I wonder if they will offer to levels of the raptor the v6 twin turbo and the V8?

zer0t

Reaction score
Why would ford go to a v8 when the 3.5EB puts out plenty of power. Did they do the 5.2 liter SC in their $500,000 GT super car? No they did a 3.5 L EB twin turbo.

What’s the hang up on v8s other than people can’t get around technology is now a replacement for displacement. I have a 17 C63S v8 TT cabriolet. I considered the M4 retractable hard top which is a i6 TT. I didn’t buy the Benz because of the v8 but because I felt it was a better touring car, just my opinion.

However, the power and acceleration in the 6 cylinder Beamer was shocking. Oh, and doesn’t the raptor 3.5 EB do 0-60 in 5.1 secs? From what I’ve seen only the v10 viper trucks were faster but averaged around ~9.1 mpg.

I know there’s a crowd that pines for a v8 but, again my opinion, for the wrong reasons. Less power, less fuel economy just more cylinders. What was the gen 1 6.2L? 411 HP 434 lb/ft of torque? Fuel economy 12-16 with an average 13 mpg? I’m averaging 17.9 with more power and torque.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Why would ford go to a v8 when the 3.5EB puts out plenty of power. Did they do the 5.2 liter SC in their $500,000 GT super car? No they did a 3.5 L EB twin turbo.

What’s the hang up on v8s other than people can’t get around technology is now a replacement for displacement. I have a 17 C63S v8 TT cabriolet. I considered the M4 retractable hard top which is a i6 TT. I didn’t buy the Benz because of the v8 but because I felt it was a better touring car, just my opinion.

However, the power and acceleration in the 6 cylinder Beamer was shocking. Oh, and doesn’t the raptor 3.5 EB do 0-60 in 5.1 secs? From what I’ve seen only the v10 viper trucks were faster but averaged around ~9.1 mpg.

I know there’s a crowd that pines for a v8 but, again my opinion, for the wrong reasons. Less power, less fuel economy just more cylinders. What was the gen 1 6.2L? 411 HP 434 lb/ft of torque? Fuel economy 12-16 with an average 13 mpg? I’m averaging 17.9 with more power and torque.

know how i know that you dont drive hard offroad?

while V8 "sound" is nice to have, it is more about the following:

- compression braking

- immediate throttle response

- simplicity

Find me a driver that can drive a gen2 as smooth as a gen 1 and I'll do everything I can to get them a race vehicle to drive. It is near impossible based on what inputs you need to give a gen2 to get it to move the way youd like.

you don't have to totally understand, but it isnt all "murica v8 and anything else sucks" .

zer0t

Reaction score
know how i know that you dont drive hard offroad?

while V8 "sound" is nice to have, it is more about the following:

- compression braking

- immediate throttle response

- simplicity

Find me a driver that can drive a gen2 as smooth as a gen 1 and I'll do everything I can to get them a race vehicle to drive. It is near impossible based on what inputs you need to give a gen2 to get it to move the way youd like.

you don't have to totally understand, but it isnt all "murica v8 and anything else sucks" .
I’m not a hard core off road driver. I drive it in sand and through some reasonable trails to my hunting camp. Throttle response I have no comparison to the N/A truck but don’t find it lacking. I haven’t considered engine braking but unless EB electronics feed fuel at 0 throttle turbo charging alone doesn’t negate the dynamics of engine braking. Simplicity? I think turbo charging is fairly mainstream at this point and adds relatively little complexity compared to benefit.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not a hard core off road driver. I drive it in sand and through some reasonable trails to my hunting camp. Throttle response I have no comparison to the N/A truck but don’t find it lacking. I haven’t considered engine braking but unless EB electronics feed fuel at 0 throttle turbo charging alone doesn’t negate the dynamics of engine braking. Simplicity? I think turbo charging is fairly mainstream at this point and adds relatively little complexity compared to benefit.
The EB is the better engine hands down. Some people just want to find reasons while they prefer those V8. At this point it’s almost like politics, you will never get a liberal to like Trump or vice versa. Same way the V8 die hards won’t like the EB.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
The EB is the better engine hands down. Some people just want to find reasons while they prefer those V8. At this point it’s almost like politics, you will never get a liberal to like Trump or vice versa. Same way the V8 die hards won’t like the EB.

dude, I've owned 4 different ecoboost trucks. I like the motor. I think it is great for most folks.

That being said, throttle by wire creates delay. you may not catch it, but when youre pushing at 8/10th or 9/10s that .5 second matters. The same goes for turbos, even if it is low lag, it is still lag.

as far as engine braking, 2 less cylinders makes a big difference. The trans strategy also makes a big difference. Even when manually shifting in baja mode, there is a weird delay in the trans actually shifting.

for my porpoises :driver:, I'd like a v8 with easy Revs, most of the torque in the first half of the power curve and a trans that shift very quickly manually ( like a PDK or sequential air shift) or a really good trans program.

The computers in these trucks screw with all sorts of things that I'd prefer be direct input.

Try this:

try to find terrain that makes the truck "wiggle" side to side when holding the steering wheel straight. ( I've found that soft sand and silt make this the easiest to feel)

Now, when you hold the wheel laser straight, the truck with wiggle and ride the ruts.

as far as the experiment, stomp on the gas, then wiggle the steering wheel side to side like this : :driver:

do it from 11-1 oclock on the wheel.

Now notice that stability control kicks in, the computer applies braking, modulates the throttle and the truck is no longer wiggling, it is driving straight as an arrow.

it is like the logic in the computer is completely backward.

some of the features are genius, many others are super intrusive. A V8 would provide the desired driving experience a bit better IMO.

now for a daily driver, I have zero issues with the ecoboost. I dont daily my truck and havent dailied it for at least 18 months now. its an 18.

zer0t

Reaction score
dude, I've owned 4 different ecoboost trucks. I like the motor. I think it is great for most folks.

That being said, throttle by wire creates delay. you may not catch it, but when youre pushing at 8/10th or 9/10s that .5 second matters. The same goes for turbos, even if it is low lag, it is still lag.

as far as engine braking, 2 less cylinders makes a big difference. The trans strategy also makes a big difference. Even when manually shifting in baja mode, there is a weird delay in the trans actually shifting.

for my porpoises :driver:, I'd like a v8 with easy Revs, most of the torque in the first half of the power curve and a trans that shift very quickly manually ( like a PDK or sequential air shift) or a really good trans program.

The computers in these trucks screw with all sorts of things that I'd prefer be direct input.

Try this:

try to find terrain that makes the truck "wiggle" side to side when holding the steering wheel straight. ( I've found that soft sand and silt make this the easiest to feel)

Now, when you hold the wheel laser straight, the truck with wiggle and ride the ruts.

as far as the experiment, stomp on the gas, then wiggle the steering wheel side to side like this : :driver:

do it from 11-1 oclock on the wheel.

Now notice that stability control kicks in, the computer applies braking, modulates the throttle and the truck is no longer wiggling, it is driving straight as an arrow.

it is like the logic in the computer is completely backward.

some of the features are genius, many others are super intrusive. A V8 would provide the desired driving experience a bit better IMO.

now for a daily driver, I have zero issues with the ecoboost. I dont daily my truck and havent dailied it for at least 18 months now. its an 18.
I get a lot of your points I really do. I don’t really DD the truck either because I only live part time where I keep it. I bought it just to have some fun and replace my Jeep. For see like me this iteration of the truck is really great. Although I’m going to try your sand experiment. ;)

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's because of the problems the ecoboost has. If there were no problems with that engine, nobody would complain. However, due to its problems seen here, there seems to be a need for a replacement engine.

Last edited:

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. For example, Ford needs to address the failing cam phasers on the 3.5L EB used in the Raptor. Hopefully the engineers will find the root cause of the failures and address it once and for all.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree. For example, Ford needs to address the failing cam phasers on the 3.5L EB used in the Raptor. Hopefully the engineers will find the root cause of the failures and address it once and for all.

Sasquatch, is this your new account?