Upgrading the TWINS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Man, I like the look of those RMB blocks. . Would love to see photos of your build. Anything special in the heads?

What sort of boost are you planning to run with 93 to reach 750 whp? What turbos are you running these days?
the heads went to headworks. special sauce valve springs, timing set, different cam phasers, pocket work. i picked up about 130CFM and velocity. If full race had ever released the manifolds that i paid for ( never delivered), I would have picked up more.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
with alcon brakes, full race radiator, trans cooler and CAC, a full suspension kit and traction bars, a currie f9 with 10" rem polished gears and 300m shafts, a fully built transmission ( for 2500hp), and a billet torque convertor with larger trans coolers.

i'm running the powermax turbos. they'll be turnt up to maximum boogie.

i also have no more liners and run a one piece front end. yes, the turbos are toastier, but i did all the braided oil and coiling lines too.

DONT BUY ANYMORE SHET lol..

ynfg_d_R6IHYM-LHVwlMye-Ud7kSbvv46zidNgSDI&usqp=CAU.jpg

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we should talk once i get to AZ. I need to put a couple hundred more miles on the break-in tune/fluids and get my gears swapped to 5.13s before its ready to tune it for all the sauce. I'll bring some extra straps so it doesn't wheelie off the dyno.

pretty sure that im going to need to link the truck next. Its gonna eat leaf springs.
You fit on a dyno?

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
the heads went to headworks. special sauce valve springs, timing set, different cam phasers, pocket work. i picked up about 130CFM and velocity. If full race had ever released the manifolds that i paid for ( never delivered), I would have picked up more.
Would love more info and really would like to see pics of these heads. Can you share more flow data? Why different phasers?

I guess I could call RMB, but that's one step closer to my bank account dropping significantly. LOL

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Took her out in the snow for a bit last night. We got just a few inches of fresh powder and I wanted to see what it was like with the added power in the snow. Still had some E85 left so let's go for a spin! While fun, E85 is WAYYYYY too much for cold roads/tires. Granted it was in fresh powder that had not been plowed, but the power is a disadvantage here. ABS had some issues too, so clearly the weather was winning.

I loved how "glued to the road" this truck was when new. There is some pretty cool stuff going on in the vehicle dynamics and traction control systems on this truck. I was always surprised at how well it did in mixed terrain and especially in winter driving.

The additional power does not shine here. It overpowers the traction control system quite easily and generates wheel spin. This happens from a stop. This happens at pretty much any speed. Just push down and she's a sliding. In general she does still slide in the general direction you point her, so that's good. Turning in ice and snow with this much power was oddly difficult. Just pulling out of my own driveway took both lanes as the tightest radius sliding with light throttle. Again - unplowed road with maybe three inches of snow. Yet I don't recall that being problematic before... More reason E85 is becoming summer fuel for me.

Turning my attention back to pump gas for a while. It will be interesting to see if traction control is happier at a lower power level. Let's hope for still having lots of fun but something a little grabbier in the white stuff.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Would love more info and really would like to see pics of these heads. Can you share more flow data? Why different phasers?

I guess I could call RMB, but that's one step closer to my bank account dropping significantly. LOL
different phasers : oiling and spring load, not all cam phasers are created equally. The only thing that I didnt do was go straight to Ford GT timing set. The GT timing set is way way way nicer, including the guides, however, you have to do the full timing set swap, as the systems are interchangeable but the individual components are not.

The full GT timing set is 6 grand and I wasnt willing to take it that far.

Ryan has all of the flow data, you'd have to get that from him directly. Many of his tweaks and upgrades have taken him significant time to develop and im not one to talk out of turn.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
I put close to another 1,000 miles on, this time running the 93 octane tune. I averaged 14.8mpg over this distance which is an improvement from E85, but not what I was hoping for. Most of that was highway mileage. I have been running the truck in 4A for these runs for traction reasons. It is possible that 2H would net a few mpg but the tires complain more when I run her this way.

No issues with this tune. She is a real strong performer and sounds great to the ear. After going through her and doing all the services, this truck runs far better than new.