Upgrading the TWINS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Well now she likes that a lot more! The basic learning above really does the trick with a new TCM tune. Prior to doing this it felt really clunky, rough, and slow. Much improved after doing the above procedure. I then put on a few miles of varying speeds, working my way up in aggressiveness. Some idling, and running errands and she seems pretty happy again.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
So when does the burnout video come?
Ha! We shall see. She sure can turn the tires when she wants!

Filled up yesterday with another tank of E85. This stuff is addictive. It's just so FAST. I really think my 93 tune is legit for a daily driver. It can be a handful in inclement weather. But E85 feels like this truck lost another 1,000 pounds... It really moves quickly and feels light. Talk about throwing you back in the seat. This thing is an absolute beast.

Winfield tells me that these things learn fueling so quickly that a driving cycle really isn't needed for fuel. We are running wideband O2s, so that explains super fast reaction time. My monitoring of the PassPORT gages indicates that AFR has always been spot on throughout testing, even if short term trim was larger. It's really neat to watch the truck learn. I see short term trim getting smaller and smaller over a few days. Again, AFR was always rock solid. Watching the truck on the highway at steady state - short term trim gets to pretty much zero, and you can watch it go up and down a few points as the terrain varies.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Put about 1,200 miles on E85 over Thanksgiving! I was happily surprised to find E85 along my route through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin! Most of the large gas stations seem to carry a bunch of different fuels up here. Even a good amount of CNG in Wisconsin which was cool to see.

Overall, I averaged 10.7mpg on E85 with mixed driving but mostly highway miles. That is a big difference from the 17-18 on 93 octane. Again, I can report that the engine really likes running this fuel. E85 is cheaper than gasoline, but the price has jumped to about $3.50 /gal up here. Even $4.50/ gal seems more economical per mile on 93.

Cold starts aren't great. Woke up to 7F on Thanksgiving. Went to warm up the truck remotely. I do understand that ethanol has issues in cold. She fired almost immediately, but then stalled. Even after more than a week of running E85 and about 800 miles it had not learned idle that well. In normal temps it would idle down to about 500 rpm and shake like it was about to stall. It just stalls in cold. I had to go out there and manually start the truck. It died a few times before it would actually idle. It did the same thing the next morning in freezing temps.

Looks like I won't be running E85 in the winter. Bummer.

OP
OP
G

Graybeard

Reaction score
Oh, and a fun side note...

I saw both the new Hummer EV (launch edition) as well as a Rivian R1T on my trip! The really cool part is that neither of these were M-plates! I see a lot of manufacturer plate vehicles up here in Michigan. I did not know that customers had taken delivery already on these models but really cool to see them on the road. Man, that Hummer looks good! Can't wait to experience that one.

BALLYWOOD007

Reaction score
This write up was unreal. I have a full AWE 0FG exhaust and plan to upgrade with a Cobb CAI (Redline Edition ) AMS tubes, intercooler and Goose Stage 1 tune.

But, after reading this...lol...man. I just want a reliable daily driver and I fear that upgrading the twins will put my truck in limbo.

Great post!!!!

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For a daily driven truck..

A tuned Raptor with an exhaust will suit 90% of the owner of Raptors. There are that 8% who will go a little beyond that to have bragging rights and the 2% are rich and go to SEMA lol.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
for the folks asking, I'm expecting to be around 750 whp ( maybe a little more) on what RMB is marketing as the 750x package. ( i was the guinea pig). I'm still on a 15 psi max breakin tune, but I am confident that I'll be at 750 on 93 and a healthy bit north of that on e98 ignite. my motor is built to hold 1250 at the crank. I wanted to stay stock location for the turbos, so ill run out of turbo before i run out of motor. ( I went full boat on the motor and trans build.)

I also went for a full built transmission and a billet torque convertor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
for the folks asking, I'm expecting to be around 750 whp ( maybe a little more) on what RMB is marketing as the 750x package. ( i was the guinea pig). I'm still on a 15 psi max breakin tune, but I am confident that I'll be at 750 on 93 and a healthy bit north of that on e98 ignite. my motor is built to hold 1250 at the crank. I wanted to stay stock location for the turbos, so ill run out of turbo before i run out of motor. ( I went full boat on the motor and trans build.)

I also went for a full built transmission and a billet torque convertor.

This reply is WORTHLESS without pictures. We should assign you a disciplinary prius pic. Just because.

Pictures, man !

;-)

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Wow, how did I miss this thread!

Great write up!

Ethanol is tough in. Old weather. I’m thinking we can get it starting much in extreme (to me being a New Mexico native :) cold

Thanks for the contribution with all of this information!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter