Undercoating this weekend; What to spray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for WoolWax from me. Sprayed my last raptor with it and it works great. The nice thing about the second gen raptor is you really don't need to spray any body panels. It wouldn't hurt to spray things like hinges and hardware but the panel itself can't rust. All that's really needed is to spray the frame, bumpers, suspension and rear differential. It's a ton less work than undercoating the whole underside of a truck and was a big plus factor for me to sell my first gen for my second gen.

All metals corrode when put in an anode/cathode situation but they don't all corrode the same way. Ferrous metals (metals containing enough iron to be magnetic) will always rust and the rust can penetrate further into the metal as long as there's a supply of oxygen at the surface. Metals like aluminum, many grades of stainless and titanium form what's called a passivating oxide layer. On an untreated surface the metal will form a small layer of corrosion at the top and that's it. The corrosion does not eat into the metal underneath like it does on ferrous materials.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to undercoat your cab and bed, but it won't make much a difference in the long run.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another vote for WoolWax from me. Sprayed my last raptor with it and it works great. The nice thing about the second gen raptor is you really don't need to spray any body panels. It wouldn't hurt to spray things like hinges and hardware but the panel itself can't rust. All that's really needed is to spray the frame, bumpers, suspension and rear differential. It's a ton less work than undercoating the whole underside of a truck and was a big plus factor for me to sell my first gen for my second gen.

All metals corrode when put in an anode/cathode situation but they don't all corrode the same way. Ferrous metals (metals containing enough iron to be magnetic) will always rust and the rust can penetrate further into the metal as long as there's a supply of oxygen at the surface. Metals like aluminum, many grades of stainless and titanium form what's called a passivating oxide layer. On an untreated surface the metal will form a small layer of corrosion at the top and that's it. The corrosion does not eat into the metal underneath like it does on ferrous materials.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to undercoat your cab and bed, but it won't make much a difference in the long run.

I'm so confused as I have my case of Amsoil and Yamalube but it seems so many are using Wool Wax.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused as I have my case of Amsoil and Yamalube but it seems so many are using Wool Wax.

What are you confused about? Both of those are good products as well. There's more than one way to skin this cat. If there weren't there'd only be one name left haha.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Its all on you, Driver. Any way you want to go. I maintain my statement about shop air to reach into the frame and cross members.