Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Undercoating this weekend; What to spray?

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by Mister Pinky, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Mister Pinky

Mister Pinky Full Access Member

So since the truck is still damn near spotless and purty, I’ve decided I’m going to do two stages of “undercoating” rust prevention before winter.

I ordered AMSoil’s MPHD which I intend to put down as a base coat since the reviews seemed very good, and also because it is stressed that the surfaces must be very clean with no rust or corrosion.

After that dries, the following weekend I plan on spraying the living hell out of the truck with Woolwax, coating any metal lines on the truck with their low viscosity semi-permanent grease, and spraying inside the frame and all the cavities with the high creep formula.

My questions are;

A. Is there any areas underneath the hood that are steel or parts that commonly corrode that should be sprayed?

B. How are the Fox shock bodies holding up to corrosive environments? They’re so pretty underneath there, I want to put something on them but I don’t know what would work and keep them rust free without attracting all sorts of dust and dirt making them look nasty long term.

I used to use Bilstein 5100s on all my other trucks, and the shock bodies would always corrode in short order.

C. What is that module that’s mounted on the passenger side frame rail under neath the passenger side door? I saw a small plastic cover on there and I’m tempted to take it off and spray like hell. I remember the Fuel Pump Control Module issues Ford had on the previous Gen trucks all too well.

D. How do the skid plates and side steps hold up? Worth pulling the plates off and spraying the insides and then spraying the underside of the steps?

E. Is it worth it to spray the turbos since they are mounted directly in the way of road spray down by the wheel wells?

Appreciate the feedback.

2. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

Definitely spray the shocks, I do everything under the truck on my gen 1 except the exhaust and drivetrain, but include the rear end. I don't spray my skid plates either. I pressure wash and then wipe down my shocks clean every spring, then start the process again every fall. My shocks still corrode where the rocks and road debris hit them face on, you would have to wrap them in the winter to protect them, then unwrap them in the warmer weather. Don't know if that's too extreme or not. I used to wrap the shocks in my quads, so it is possible.

Mister Pinky and richnot like this.
  3. Todd Turbo S

Todd Turbo S Full Access Member

4. 2019 scott

2019 scott Member

Use straight boiled linseed oil. I have a 2002 ford ranger i purchased new and to this day there is no rust under it. I live in northwestern PA so the winters are pretty brutal on vehicles up here.

5. 2019 scott

2019 scott Member

Spray the exhaust also, it will bake on there and help keep the exhaust from rusting up also. My 02 ranger still has the original exhaust and has 293,000 miles on it.

Mister Pinky and Fireguy144 like this.
  6. 2019 scott

2019 scott Member

Build yourself some splash shields to protect the turbos and exhaust manifolds from splash.

Mister Pinky likes this.
  7. CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor FRF Addict

I believe the exhaust on the gen 2 is stainless steel, it shouldn't rust, could be wrong though.

Mister Pinky and Flash1034 like this.
  8. 2019 scott

2019 scott Member

Yes i think it is 409 grade stainless which will get a coating of rust on it but it will take quite a few years to rust out but alot of the hardware- nuts, bolts, flanges and hangers are not stainless and will rust out or be very difficult to remove if it ever needs torn apart. Spraying it with boiled linseed oil will combat this. Alot of it will burn off up front where the exhaust gets hottest but at the back where exhaust rusts out the most it will stay on there for a while.

CoronaRaptor likes this.
  9. 911 Crazy

911 Crazy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

10. 2019 scott

2019 scott Member

6CEEB7AB-5ACD-43DC-814E-5CD17576F3ED.jpeg 14C1EB9C-B3DA-4823-9C9B-403E456BF02F.jpeg
    this is what i did on my f150 to protect the turbos and exhaust manifolds from splash.