Undercoating this weekend; What to spray?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do have composite hoods and front fenders but the aluminum body panels/seams are what I am concerned about, doors and tailgates in particular. For the hood and front fenders I just sprayed/brushed all the mounting hardware I could see/reach. Now that I think about it I am going to give the backside of my front bumper fog light pockets a WW wipedown.

I brushed and sprayed the living hell out of my bumpers simply because I know a painted bumper’s favorite thing to do is rust out.

EDIT: Anyone know if I spray my trailer plug ins, will it display the “trailer connected” message in the IPC?

Last edited:

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
Just the backsides of the fog pockets or did you do the front painted side as well??? I have seen FF used on chrome bumpers, but I am not sure if I would like it on the front painted sides.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the backsides of the fog pockets or did you do the front painted side as well??? I have seen FF used on chrome bumpers, but I am not sure if I would like it on the front painted sides.

Just on the backsides of both bumpers, nothing on the front painted side. You could gently wipe them down with WW if you wanted to protect them...and attract a lot of dirt.

I plan on eventually getting my bumpers clear bra’d and ceramic coated, just because the smallest stone chip makes the whole thing go to hell. Makes me miss chrome bumpers.

2019 scott

Reaction score
Thanks @2019 scott , the liners arrived and are exactly like you posted. Ordered 2 lefts, pleasantly surprised that they are much more flexible than I expected. I figured I was going to get some stiff plastic fender liner that didnt like bending, these are nice and pliable. Will study your mounting pics and then get mine installed, did you do any trimming at all???
I may have done a little bit of trimming, like around the vacuum lines for the front hubs so they don’t get a hole rubbed thru them, but nothing major to trim.

OP
OP
M

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys are way more **** than me. I just hose down the entire undercarriage on warmer days.

That will do next to nothing, especially with the calcium chloride/brine solutions that are applied today, and may even contribute to the faster spread of corrosion.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That will do next to nothing, especially with the calcium chloride/brine solutions that are applied today, and may even contribute to the faster spread of corrosion.

I live 2 blocks from the ocean, so it doesn't really matter. Never had an issue before.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw the nightmare someone here had with undercoating by a ***** dealer.

what about a good linex shop for undercoating? Is that recommended?
Do not use Linex bed sprayliner for undercoating ever. Suspension works and undercoat will develop small cracks after while which will trap all the salt, grime and water eating your Suspension components underneath the linex. Couple cans of Fluid Film and you good to go.

Wojciech Gierczynski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been using Fluid Film for years. Just buy yourself 5-6 cans (no need for fancy sprayers etc.) Lay under the truck (dirty job but well worth it) and go to town. Only thing is to try to avoid any rubber hoses. If you spray on it it wont fall off but jsu try to avoid it. I spray Fluid Film before every winter. Actually 5-6 cans was first time coverage ... after that its only touch up before every winter in high impact areas where water washes off Fluid Film.