GEN 2 UGH, had to do it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRick73

Reaction score
Congrats on your new SCAB! You will love it. I have the same truck and I’ve got a little over 15,000 miles. No issues so far. Absolutely love driving it every day. I almost never see any new Scabs in my area, only Screws. The only complaint, if you want to call it a complaint, is the 26 gallon gas tank. It’s fine when driving only the truck but I’ve pulled my 26’, 4850# trailer about 5,000 of my 15,000 miles and the MPG pulling the trailer is only 10.1 thus you have to get gas every 200 to 240 miles. It pulls the trailer Great.
RR SCABS rock!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m going to be able to drive my new 2020 Raptor worry free for the 8/125K warranty period...

Ignorance is bliss. That warranty is only as good as Ford's willingness and ability to stand behind it. Had I taken mine to an independent shop, they would have put it back together with maybe some RTV around the rim of the seal when we found out that you couldn't get parts. I could have driven it while we waited. I'd have been happy to pay them for their labor. Instead, because it's under warranty and because of how Ford reimburses dealers for warranty work, the dealer has no incentive to spend an extra minute on it, so taking it apart and putting it back together twice was never on the table. Easier to let me cool my heels for months. My big fear now is that I'll finally get it fixed and then something else will go wrong that will require a back ordered part. Probably after my one year anniversary when the Lemon Law no longer gives me any leverage but it's still under warranty. So yes, the warranty will limit your out of pocket expense. It won't assure that you have a truck to drive. Now I've got an extended warranty and I worry. Depending on what the next failure is, I may try to fix it myself or I may take it to an independent shop instead of risking a warranty repair at the dealer. Is that *****, or what?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a certain “worry factor” on any older vehicle, that feeling in the pit of your stomach when the engine hiccups or you hear a weird noise and wonder what it’s going to cost you next. My diesel truck got to be that way for the last 2-3 years I had it, and it make it less fun to drive wondering which noise might end up costing me $4-5K in repairs.

I’m going to be able to drive my new 2020 Raptor worry free for the 8/125K warranty period, then sell/trade it. The new trucks and their electronics do concern me for long term ownership, especially my 802A. If I want to keep a Scab Raptor long term I’ll go find a nice 800A with lower miles when I’m done with this one. Chances are there will be something else that’s really cool out in 2026-2028, maybe the tail end of Gen 3 Raptor production.
I hear ya, i drive 3 different vehicles and have bought 2 new vehicles since owning my raptor, after 10 years and proper maintenance my raptor still drives like it did when it was new and everything operates 100%. There's people that maintain their vehicles at a different level than others, it bothers me if something doesnt work on my vehicles, whereas others, it doesn't bother them if the heated seat doesnt work or the cigarette lighter, or if the steering is loose or if there is a clunk. To some people they need the comfort of a warranty and I have been that person as well, but I won't upgrade my raptor, I waited and ordered it and it was one of the first produced with the 6.2, I have a personal attachment to this vehicle :bowroflwerd6:

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ignorance is bliss. That warranty is only as good as Ford's willingness and ability to stand behind it. Had I taken mine to an independent shop, they would have put it back together with maybe some RTV around the rim of the seal when we found out that you couldn't get parts. I could have driven it while we waited. I'd have been happy to pay them for their labor. Instead, because it's under warranty and because of how Ford reimburses dealers for warranty work, the dealer has no incentive to spend an extra minute on it, so taking it apart and putting it back together twice was never on the table. Easier to let me cool my heels for months. My big fear now is that I'll finally get it fixed and then something else will go wrong that will require a back ordered part. Probably after my one year anniversary when the Lemon Law no longer gives me any leverage but it's still under warranty. So yes, the warranty will limit your out of pocket expense. It won't assure that you have a truck to drive. Now I've got an extended warranty and I worry. Depending on what the next failure is, I may try to fix it myself or I may take it to an independent shop instead of risking a warranty repair at the dealer. Is that *****, or what?

It is *****. In that case I’d hope that my business relationship with the dealer (I work as a dealership consultant) would help out in them getting me back on the road up instead of dealing with what you are going through currently.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the upgrade. It is amazing how much better the GEN2 looks sitting right next to a Gen1.

What happened to the body colored mirrors? Was this removed in 2020?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is *****. In that case I’d hope that my business relationship with the dealer (I work as a dealership consultant) would help out in them getting me back on the road up instead of dealing with what you are going through currently.

Good point. Your extended warranty is probably worth a lot more than mine.