GEN 2 UGH, had to do it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moridin

Reaction score
It is striking how much better from the front the Gen 2's look compared to the Gen 1's. The inset center grille and headlight design or something... can't put my finger on it. But man it's so much meaner looking than the Gen 1's.

I loved my 2012, she was a beauty... but the first time I ever saw a 2017 from the front I was hooked. It definitely took me a while to get used to the V6 sound, too... I had a cat-back on my old one and man when you got on it, it sounded fantastic.

Any time I miss that, I just put this one in Sport and the feeling quickly goes away. V6 sound or not, it's soooo much more fun to drive in any situation than my old one.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the new vehicle! She looks nice and shiny. On the flip side, it would of been a lot cheaper on the pocket book to spend 5-7 k on repairs to get that gen 1 up to like new condition, just saying. Somebody will fix her up and so that means there's now an extra raptor rockin and rollin.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but the lower control arms on the Gen 1s are 1200 a piece IIRC

and the shocks are not near as good as what comes on the Gen 2s either.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, but the lower control arms on the Gen 1s are 1200 a piece IIRC

and the shocks are not near as good as what comes on the Gen 2s either.
That's because most guys rebuild them, you don't replace those, parts are maybe $200 to rebuild.

And the gen 1s don't have a heated steering wheel either, but .... whatever. Not knocking a gen 2, just saying for out of pocket money, the gen 1 could of been rebuilt cheaper. I love the new car smell too!

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the new vehicle! She looks nice and shiny. On the flip side, it would of been a lot cheaper on the pocket book to spend 5-7 k on repairs to get that gen 1 up to like new condition, just saying. Somebody will fix her up and so that means there's now an extra raptor rockin and rollin.

bingo

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's because most guys rebuild them, you don't replace those, parts are maybe $200 to rebuild.

And the gen 1s don't have a heated steering wheel either, but .... whatever. Not knocking a gen 2, just saying for out of pocket money, the gen 1 could of been rebuilt cheaper. I love the new car smell too!

There is a certain “worry factor” on any older vehicle, that feeling in the pit of your stomach when the engine hiccups or you hear a weird noise and wonder what it’s going to cost you next. My diesel truck got to be that way for the last 2-3 years I had it, and it make it less fun to drive wondering which noise might end up costing me $4-5K in repairs.

I’m going to be able to drive my new 2020 Raptor worry free for the 8/125K warranty period, then sell/trade it. The new trucks and their electronics do concern me for long term ownership, especially my 802A. If I want to keep a Scab Raptor long term I’ll go find a nice 800A with lower miles when I’m done with this one. Chances are there will be something else that’s really cool out in 2026-2028, maybe the tail end of Gen 3 Raptor production.