If you had to do it again (RIP Raptor)…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daytona1783

Reaction score
I've got a 2020, and I love it. I purchased it used with 29k miles and have zero issues. I will eventually purchase a Gen 3, but I'm waiting for a color similar to Performance Blue from the 2024 models and for Ford to work out a few of the small issues. It's always best to purchase the most progressed year of any generation. 2020 would be your best bet if you can swing it.

OP
OP
BacDoc

BacDoc

Reaction score
I’d say 2020 later production for no phaser issues
Only the 2020 didn't have phaser issues? Isn't the 21' the start of Gen 3?
hope you didnt need a bac doc after that. i just might know somebody.

each truck is different no matter the year. just go over the truck since you know what to look for.
Unfortunately I have for my neck. A barber has to get a haircut too.

OP
OP
BacDoc

BacDoc

Reaction score
I'd say '19 at the earliest. I'm not fond of the Gen 3 exterior, but everything else is nice. Have a 2020 feel like all I'm missing is infotainment and independent rear.

What years had the independent rear? I was wasn't aware they changed the suspension that much.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my 18 has been rock solid for 5 years an 51,000 miles. (cam phaser is the only dealer visit in 5 years) Dont read too much into internet stats on car forums.

but...to answer your question......I think I am one and done for "trucks". I will keep my truck till it dies. My wife likes the idea of us having a truck for when we need it. So we keep it as 1 of our 5 family cars.

but if I lost a battle to a tanker truck tomorrow, 90% sure my next car would be a CT5v Black Wing, or an Audi s8. Just more of a car guy I guess.

NCJeeper

Reaction score
I’ve only had my 2018 a week and a half so I really cant answer this. Though, this truck is the nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned.

I bought it as a one owner, and the prior owner took good care of the truck as it was ceramic coated and looks like the frame is protected as well. I didn’t see much regarding repairs completed in the carfax, so hopefully it has had a trouble free life so far. I’m a bit concerned about the cam phaser issue, but I’ve got two really good Ford dealers in my town.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19 or 20 would be my recommendation. I'm not sure if the phasers on the '20 are a non-issue, so that might factor into the calculus. Very happy with my fully spec'd '19. I was going to try to get one without a pano roof, but the deal was too hard to pass up on the one with, so I went with it. Never use it or certainly not with any regularity.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After my 2018 Gen2 was totaled Rather than waiting for the Covid era Gen3’s to start hitting the lots I opted to find a 2020 w/o sunroof b/c I KNEW I’d be getting the most “sorted out” version of a gen2 possible, a late build 2020 w/ no pano roof, no cam phaser issues, & all the lil details they tweaked along the way during that 2015-2020 F150 run. I’m very happy w/ the decision & have nearly 50k trouble free miles thus far on it.

So yeah- my vote would be try to find a 2020 ideally, or a 2019, I wouldn’t mess w/ a 2017-2018 & play Russian roulette w/ plastic pans & cam phasers

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brotha I have a ‘20 and the only issues I had were oil consumption (fixed with reprogram) & moisture on passenger side (fixed with drain elbow).

No truck is really the same but I’ve been super happy with this one!
I would buy another Gen 2.......swap my aftermarket bolt on mods from my current 2018 to the new one, and enjoy the lower mileage Gen 2. Then sell off my 2018. No regrets if I stay with my 2018 or move to a lower mileage '19 or '20.
I’ve got a ‘20 and I think all the bugs were worked for the final year production of Gen 2. Purchased September of ‘20 and have 45k miles. It’s all stock. Except for IWE fix at 12 miles I’ve got a great running truck.