If you had to do it again (RIP Raptor)…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BacDoc

BacDoc

Reaction score
my 18 has been rock solid for 5 years an 51,000 miles. (cam phaser is the only dealer visit in 5 years) Dont read too much into internet stats on car forums.

but...to answer your question......I think I am one and done for "trucks". I will keep my truck till it dies. My wife likes the idea of us having a truck for when we need it. So we keep it as 1 of our 5 family cars.

but if I lost a battle to a tanker truck tomorrow, 90% sure my next car would be a CT5v Black Wing, or an Audi s8. Just more of a car guy I guess.
Been there done the CTS-V, M5's...but I don't wanna be that guy towing his bass boat with a sedan. lol And as far as trucks go this was my first truck and I'll never not have one now. And its gotta be a Raptor to satisfy my speed and power desire while hauling my fishing gear.

OP
OP
BacDoc

BacDoc

Reaction score
After my 2018 Gen2 was totaled Rather than waiting for the Covid era Gen3’s to start hitting the lots I opted to find a 2020 w/o sunroof b/c I KNEW I’d be getting the most “sorted out” version of a gen2 possible, a late build 2020 w/ no pano roof, no cam phaser issues, & all the lil details they tweaked along the way during that 2015-2020 F150 run. I’m very happy w/ the decision & have nearly 50k trouble free miles thus far on it.

So yeah- my vote would be try to find a 2020 ideally, or a 2019, I wouldn’t mess w/ a 2017-2018 & play Russian roulette w/ plastic pans & cam phasers
I just had all that work done. It was close to $4k including fixing the roof. Having said that my good friend owns our local Ford dealer and cuts my a deal on labor so IF i ended up having to do it again yeah it was month and some cash to fix the known wrongs of the '17. If only I didn't love that Avalanche gray...

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I'd be hesitant to buy a used raptor because you don't know how much the previous owner abused it.

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like most have said, the 19-20 is an ideal choice. One thing no one has mentioned is the live-valve suspension on the 19s onwards. It’s great in stock from and with an SDI e click system it’s even better from what keep it dirty offroad has to say.

I’ve never had any sunroof issues “knock on wood” but if I were to do it agian I would go for an 802A with no sunroof. Maybe Recaros. Never tried them but they look nice. I wouldn’t look at anything else. Not a ZR2, rebel, or new tremor for the price.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
BacDoc

BacDoc

Reaction score
I've had 2017 and 2020. The 2017 felt like it had more power only issue cam phaser Put 60,000 miles on it. The 2020 has 70,000 miles with no issues.
Funny I thought I read the 18+ had less drivetrain loss and showed more power on the dyno to the wheels, yet the '17 was a tick faster.