If you had to do it again (RIP Raptor)…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BacDoc

Reaction score
Unfortunately my 2017 Avalanche lost a battle with a tanker truck 2 weeks ago. Insurance is replacing it so I’m on the hunt again. I’ve got more wiggle room for a Gen II … would you buy another ‘17 or go with another year? During my research over a year ago I read ‘17s had lower HP numbers due to drivetrain loss, phaser issues, oil pan, (I had all that work done $4k). 18’s for some reason had the highest reported issues. So would you go ‘’19 or ‘20?

IMG_0716.jpeg

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brotha I have a ‘20 and the only issues I had were oil consumption (fixed with reprogram) & moisture on passenger side (fixed with drain elbow).

No truck is really the same but I’ve been super happy with this one!

OP
OP
BacDoc

BacDoc

Reaction score
Brotha I have a ‘20 and the only issues I had were oil consumption (fixed with reprogram) & moisture on passenger side (fixed with drain elbow).

No truck is really the same but I’ve been super happy with this one!
My local dealer has a ‘20 with 25k miles I’m looking at. If I don’t have to do phasers cover and oil pain service again that will save me $4k. Oh and the sunroof broke. Lol

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know, but I would buy my ‘19 again 100%. I did have the cam phasers replaced with the new P/N a few months ago, and it took one day (no cab removal) and has run great ever since. I haven’t had any of the other reported issues. YMMV.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy another Gen 2.......swap my aftermarket bolt on mods from my current 2018 to the new one, and enjoy the lower mileage Gen 2. Then sell off my 2018. No regrets if I stay with my 2018 or move to a lower mileage '19 or '20.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope you didnt need a bac doc after that. i just might know somebody.

each truck is different no matter the year. just go over the truck since you know what to look for.