Twisted CV Boots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwidow95

Reaction score
Anybody have an issues with twisting the drivers side cv boot and making a clicking noise. Did it under hard acceleration in my grass yard. The truck is 2018 Rocky Ridge with 37's and 5* tuned. Seems to happen when the weight transfer from front to back and seems to possibly overextend my axles and/or cant handle the extra power and fully extended. Replaced once from factory and did again when I played around in my yard. Thought the truck shouldn't have a problem with the added horsepower. Truck was new 3months ago (1700miles now).

Side note, aren't those cv's longer than standard f150? I am see the same part number for both
Thanks

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody have an issues with twisting the drivers side cv boot and making a clicking noise. Did it under hard acceleration in my grass yard. The truck is 2018 Rocky Ridge with 37's and 5* tuned. Seems to happen when the weight transfer from front to back and seems to possibly overextend my axles and/or cant handle the extra power and fully extended. Replaced once from factory and did again when I played around in my yard. Thought the truck shouldn't have a problem with the added horsepower. Truck was new 3months ago (1700miles now).

Side note, aren't those cv's longer than standard f150? I am see the same part number for both
Thanks

The issue is being caused by the aftermarket suspension modifications. The lift and change in suspension geometry is causing the CV to over extend and become damaged.

The Raptor CV axles are different from the standard F-150, but they are designed for the factory Raptor suspension, not the 4.5” lift and resulting changes in the suspension geometry.

Did the dealer replace the first axle that was damaged? If so, it’s not warranty and should have been billed through Rocky Ridge. Your best bet is to contact Rocky Ridge and see what they recommend, since they are the ones that modified the vehicle.

OP
OP
Blackwidow95

Blackwidow95

Reaction score
The issue is being caused by the aftermarket suspension modifications. The lift and change in suspension geometry is causing the CV to over extend and become damaged.

The Raptor CV axles are different from the standard F-150, but they are designed for the factory Raptor suspension, not the 4.5” lift and resulting changes in the suspension geometry.

Did the dealer replace the first axle that was damaged? If so, it’s not warranty and should have been billed through Rocky Ridge. Your best bet is to contact Rocky Ridge and see what they recommend, since they are the ones that modified the vehicle.

Dealer thinks something is wrong on the lift side and Rocky Ridge thinks something wrong on the factory drivetrain. I have been told 3 different times that having the Fabtech lift still maintains all factory angles and geometry by dropping the center down and using different knuckles. Each side is saying they have never heard of this issue. Very frustrating spending all the money on having something already done and still having issues.
Rocky Ridge wants to take the truck and look at it. Unfortunately it will ne gone for several weeks but if they fix it, it will be worth.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer thinks something is wrong on the lift side and Rocky Ridge thinks something wrong on the factory drivetrain. I have been told 3 different times that having the Fabtech lift still maintains all factory angles and geometry by dropping the center down and using different knuckles. Each side is saying they have never heard of this issue. Very frustrating spending all the money on having something already done and still having issues.
Rocky Ridge wants to take the truck and look at it. Unfortunately it will ne gone for several weeks but if they fix it, it will be worth.

That is typical of aftermarket upfitters; their first response is always to try and attribute the failure to the OEM.

It will definitely be worth it to have Rocky Ridge look at the truck; they should stand behind their product. I’m surprised they don’t just send a tech rep out to your dealer to look at it, seems like that would be a lot less hassle than bringing the truck to them.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it’s twisting the boot, it’s over extending at the knuckle and causing it to disengage hence the clicking and twisted boot. Do you have any pictures of your cv axle angles?

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not too many people using Fabtech Lifts on their Raptors, so your will probably have to post a few pics of the CV angles to see if things look right. Either that or take it into to the installer at have them look at it.

MR JB

Reaction score
Let me know what they find I have the same build of a truck but i have not had any issues with the truck yet

OP
OP
Blackwidow95

Blackwidow95

Reaction score
They said they dont have a tech to come out, so i am going to put another cv shaft in it since I am going to the Michigan sand dunes in a week in a half and they will come get it and said they will figure it out. I guess I will take it easy and see how long it will last.
Pic of boot and angle. Angle looked the same as a factory one at the lot. 4x4 still works just makes the loud clicking noise when it builds a little boost and twists the boot more.20200621_161046.jpg

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hard to tell for sure but that shaft seems shorter. Could they have installed a standard f150 shaft? Whats the whole part number on there? Could also be a passenger side shaft which is shorter than the driver side shaft.

I measured my shafts. From the outside of the boot clamp to outside of boot clamp on the passenger side was 7-1/4" and driver was 7-1/2". So looks to be about 1/4" longer on driver side.

20200621_16104612.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blackwidow95

Blackwidow95

Reaction score
hard to tell for sure but that shaft seems shorter. Could they have installed a standard f150 shaft? Whats the whole part number on there? Could also be a passenger side shaft which is shorter than the driver side shaft.

I measured my shafts. From the outside of the boot clamp to outside of boot clamp on the passenger side was 7-1/4" and driver was 7-1/2". So looks to be about 1/4" longer on driver side.

View attachment 146184
This is what part number they ordered HL3ZA427A, but in small letters below the bar tag on the actual shaft it has this number HL3VA426AA or HL3VA427AA cant be certain which side in my photo. Then in bigger numbers you can see different numbers. Still confused, does anybody have the numbers off their drivers side cv shaft for reference? When I get home I can measure between my boots and see what the measurement is.