TurboSmart EM BOV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Plumb-Back is basically an OEM upgrade to have a true mechanical BOV that is routed back into the truck just like OEM so you don't have the "pssh" sound. We carry both and currently have both units in stock if anyone is interested.
So I'm clear, my understanding was the ONLY difference was the first was VTA and the second is still closed recirculating. Otherwise the internals are the same? Still an electronic actuated valve (somewhat rhetorical question)? With all the problems stated with the first, was concerned/curious about the second offering.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe this a better version. I just installed my 3rd Turbosmart BOV on my aftermarket IC today due to a malfunctioning BOV. The first one basically fused the plunger due to MN/WI elements after 18 months, the 2nd gave me the P0035 OBD Code 3 days ago, so I just installed the 3rd.

I am pretty underwhelmed by these devices. I mean at $350 each and now on #3 ($1050) for the “pssssssh” sound, they should be engineered much better.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this a better version. I just installed my 3rd Turbosmart BOV on my aftermarket IC today due to a malfunctioning BOV. The first one basically fused the plunger due to MN/WI elements after 18 months, the 2nd gave me the P0035 OBD Code 3 days ago, so I just installed the 3rd.

I am pretty underwhelmed by these devices. I mean at $350 each and now on #3 ($1050) for the “pssssssh” sound, they should be engineered much better.

i had major issues with my em BOV, (stuck open, stuck closed, bad solonoid) i kept taking it apart and cleaning it every weekend basically.... switched to the vacuum operated one and its been fine with no issues ever since (20k mi)

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i had major issues with my em BOV, (stuck open, stuck closed, bad solonoid) i kept taking it apart and cleaning it every weekend basically.... switched to the vacuum operated one and its been fine with no issues ever since (20k mi)
I may due that if you are having better luck with the vacuum version.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So I'm clear, my understanding was the ONLY difference was the first was VTA and the second is still closed recirculating. Otherwise the internals are the same? Still an electronic actuated valve (somewhat rhetorical question)? With all the problems stated with the first, was concerned/curious about the second offering.
Correct. As for the initial issues, we had some problems when they first came out. And every once in awhile we see a dud unit, but by and large, we've had no issues with the units on our trucks which includes 3 different Gen 2 Raptors and Bronco. We've sold hundreds of these over the years and only a handful of issues have come up.