BOV not making any noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine really only does it loud if you’re on boost hard and abruptly let off the gas. But it’s definitely audible.

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the guys with the SVC intercooler, did you have them relocate the bov from the stock location or retain the intercooler/bov assembly in it’s original location?

@Russ103, what type of lube did you put in your bov?

WD-40

Any kind would be fine IMO. It just had to break free.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WD-40

Any kind would be fine IMO. It just had to break free.
Just had this same issue with electromic BOV (turbosmart) no longer actuating and releasing pressure. Mine had been on for about 18 months. You could definitely tell when letting off the throttle quickly there was no where for the excess pressure to go.

I attempted to lube my BOV (despite them being "zero" maintenance). It still would not actuate. I checked all the electronic plug ins too and they were zip tied/electrical taped from when I first installed it.

Short of the long I had to replace the entire unit, which at least I can do without dropping the IC since I have an ADD bolt on front bumper. I am still surprised to only get 1.5 years and about 10,000 miles out of it.

Does anyone else do some kind of maintenance on these things?

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an 80$ Bov from
Burger tuning. It was two bolts and took 15 min to install and it makes the sneeze sound. But only with accelerating and immediately coming off the accelerator

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had this same issue with electromic BOV (turbosmart) no longer actuating and releasing pressure. Mine had been on for about 18 months. You could definitely tell when letting off the throttle quickly there was no where for the excess pressure to go.

I attempted to lube my BOV (despite them being "zero" maintenance). It still would not actuate. I checked all the electronic plug ins too and they were zip tied/electrical taped from when I first installed it.

Short of the long I had to replace the entire unit, which at least I can do without dropping the IC since I have an ADD bolt on front bumper. I am still surprised to only get 1.5 years and about 10,000 miles out of it.

I just changed my oil and completely forgot to lube the BOV. It does however still work as intended after 15k miles. I’ve always thought of a BOV as being a maintenance free part before this one.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOV should be maintenance free...if they are not, they are defective.

There are two kinds of BOVs...
-recirculating
-Vent to Atmospher (VTA)

The factory BOV is recirculating meaning the venting is recirculatated back into the intake for lag free spool ups between shifts.

VTA BOVs, vent the pressure to atmosphere, which then the turbos have to repressurize the intake between shifts causing boost lag.

VTAs make the sneeze sounds when the BOVs vents (vacuum present in the intake; upstream of throttle body).

Recirculating BOVs are pretty much silent.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I just noticed my turbosmart electronic BOV is not opening either... gonna lube and see. If not I guess I'll throw the OEM one back on.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those were my sentiments, especially these Vee Ports are supposed to be maintenance free….

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the re-circulation tube on my factory BPV and I can hear it with the windows up. Maybe y'all should go back to factory?