Turbo wastegate spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I fixed my bad rattle that is happening at 28K. Went to the dealer today and they said I have to bring it in. They never heard of this before. I explained everything thats happens and still no clue. Should I try another dealer? What would they do for me anyway. They said there are no service bulitins or recalls for it. Its a 2020 and I also have a ESP.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no service bulletin for 2020; they already have the springs. Some amount of wastegate linkage rattle is normal; they need to have tolerance built in for heat expansion.

OP
OP
M

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no service bulletin for 2020; they already have the springs. Some amount of wastegate linkage rattle is normal; they need to have tolerance built in for heat expansion.
Where do they have the springs? I don't see any.
I know some tolerance is normal. It has been quiet for over 2 years then over the last 6 months I started hearing it. I never knew what it was until it got so bad I started doing some research. If I put the spring on it sounds like new again. I don't think thats normal to get worse after 2 years.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know some tolerance is normal. It has been quiet for over 2 years then over the last 6 months I started hearing it. I never knew what it was until it got so bad I started doing some research. If I put the spring on it sounds like new again. I don't think thats normal to get worse after 2 years.
This...my 2020 has start up rattle as well.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They’re wave springs located between the linkage connections. What’s “normal” is subject to interpretation, but I suppose it’s expected that the linkages will wear slightly over thousands of miles of operation. I’m at 31k, mine sounds “normal” to me, same as they always have.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so askin this cause ive seen this mod posted before, but will adding that add'l spring that others have to the linkage cause damage since it cant move or its under too much tension?

Debating it cause hearing other noises at startup may be hard to notice over the linkage rattle.

edit with link of said mod:

OP
OP
M

McM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt realize how bad it was until I did the spring fix. Before, I would go under the truck every time and look for a loose muffler clamp, or hit the exhaust with my hand to try to see if something was loose inside. My son was there and asked me what is that sound. The dealer called me yesterday and told me the 2020 had the updated turbo that fixed that. That doesnt mean it went bad again though. I'm setting up an appointment when I get back from vacation. It has to stay overnight though since it happens when its cold.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They’re wave springs located between the linkage connections. What’s “normal” is subject to interpretation, but I suppose it’s expected that the linkages will wear slightly over thousands of miles of operation. I’m at 31k, mine sounds “normal” to me, same as they always have.
I would think you have not experienced the issue then.

I agree with many it sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield. It definitely doesn't sound "normal".

I only hear it on the drivers side, maybe cause I am in the drivers seat.

It wasn't there and then one day it was. I mostly ignore it. But as a old mechanic it does get my attention.