Tune = Void Powertrain Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan096

Reaction score
We have voided warrantys on mustangs with tunes and melted pistons.pretty much up to dealer.ford now checks for factory calibration numbers, anything different comes up as aftermarket cal.hard to deny that! Dan096

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A few have thrown caution to the wind. engine replacement is likely going to go into 5 figures, trans probably 4-6k minimum. If you can’t afford that kind of nut, think very hard about putting a tune on the truck.

The dealers told me the same thing when I asked about the crazy, stupid, insane weep hole recommendation that the FRF user formerly known as sasquatch77 was pedaling. Warranty = gone.

I’ve seen some pretty unusual air/fuel ratios in the few dyno graphs posted, so I’m waiting to see if any of these tuned trucks start spontaneously throwing hard parts through the block.
There is a rumor that Ford Performance will produce a tune, but, I’m starting to think it will be entombed by CARB and never released. F/P would retain the warranty with their tune, but would be much more conservative.

Ford will never make a tune , unless they said " race only , no warranty" And there is zero benefit to them to do that.

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not tuned my 2018 Raptor and don’t plan to unless it’s a FP tune covered by warranty.

I did tune my 2015 F150 (3.5EB) and threw a rod. Engine was toast. I admitted the tune to my dealer, but they covered it anyway. Not every dealer would do this.

I was told a new engine would have been about $12k.

Last edited:

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I have not tuned my 2018 Raptor and don’t plan to unless it’s a FP tune covered by warranty.

I did tune my 2015 F150 (3.5EB) and threw a rod. Engine was toast. I admitted the tune to my dealer, but they covered it anyway. Not every dealer would do this.

I was told a new engine would have been about $12k.

Did you use an SSI Tune?

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use an SSI Tune?

No, it was MPT 91 PR-X.

I'll caveat this by saying I am not necessarily blaming the tune. I never really dug into it to try and find out the exact cause.

Other info that might be relevant: Truck was tuned at about 2k miles. Engine blew at 33K. I was doing around 35mph when it happened under moderate to heavy acceleration, but not bouncing off the rev limiter or anything like that. I always used at least 91 octane from the same station and pump, unless I was traveling long distance. It wasn't really hot (70s-80s), but pretty humid and muggy that day. Only other engine mod was a 170 degree stat.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting about MPT. Thanks for that.
Thoughts around whether or not the engine hydrolocked?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hydrolocking...

And throwing a rod for that matter...

Are not symptoms of a tune.

A tune is timing advance, leaner A/F and in some circumstances increased boost.

MGD... thanks for pointing out hydrolocking.

A bad tune would be more likely to cause a piston to detonate, pit, and a hole burned through it.

Not bend and trash a rod...

And Sasquatch...

Guess what

MPT doesn’t run any more boost than stock.

This same guy has posted this thrown rod story about 4 Times.

SpeedJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hydrolocking...

And throwing a rod for that matter...

Are not symptoms of a tune.

A tune is timing advance, leaner A/F and in some circumstances increased boost.

MGD... thanks for pointing out hydrolocking.

A bad tune would be more likely to cause a piston to detonate, pit, and a hole burned through it.

Not bend and trash a rod...

And Sasquatch...

Guess what

MPT doesn’t run any more boost than stock.

This same guy has posted this thrown rod story about 4 Times.

Like I said, I'm not blaming the tune or trying to bash MPT. Performance wise, the MPT tune was awesome and I missed it a lot. I never dug into it to say for sure what caused it.

I gather that this sasquatch guy is some Ford basher? If that's what you think of me then you are mistaken.

I don't hate Ford or the EB engine at all. I bought a 2018 Raptor for crying out loud and I love it, including the EB engine. For all I know my 2015 had a factory defect that finally let loose.

I just laid out the truth of what happened. Take it for what you will.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Don't know for sure. It's possible. I didn't have a catch can or anything like that installed. Other than the 170 stat and the tune the engine was bone stock.