Tune = Void Powertrain Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all

So I talked to my dealership today and asked about tunes and impact on the warranty. They have many customers who tuned and said that it is exceedingly rare tunes have really caused any issues. However, they also made it clear that ford would deny any powertrain issues if a tune was applied AT ALL. This seems to be what most here have stated as well.

So my question for the group is this.

How many GEN 2 owners have tuned right after purchase and have you had any issues?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a Pedal Commander from day one, ditched it for MPT tune. Both products are fantastic, just can't stack them. 3000 miles on the MPT tune. 13,000 on the truck. Never had an issue.

Heelfan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t tuned the raptor yet waiting on livernois to get their tuner developed. I do have two ecoboost platforms tuned by them, my Daily driver SHO Taurus,and my wife’s explorer sport. Combined I have 130k miles between them with zero issues. Just find a reputable tuner like livernois, mpt, etc and don’t look back. If your worried about warranty and it’s going to bother you thinking about the risk then don’t do it and be happy with stock. Just because something breaks doesn’t mean the dealer will look for tuning but there’s always that chance.

My sho has had a new PTU and two front axles replaced under warranty and didn’t even remove the tune when I took it in. Now if you go in with rods sticking out the block and burnt pistons that might be a different story. Just have to be willing to take the risk or not it’s up to the individual.

OP
OP
mmacfn

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a brand new Gen 2 how long would people suggest waiting before a tune?

I already ordered a pedal commander. I figured if anything was gonna go off the rails with a new vehicle it will happen in the first 5-7K miles. Thought it might be smart to use PC instead of the MTP tune (which isnt out yet for 2018 anyway) until i know its solid from the factory in the first place.

that make sense?

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I already ordered a pedal commander. I figured if anything was gonna go off the rails with a new vehicle it will happen in the first 5-7K miles. Thought it might be smart to use PC instead of the MTP tune (which isnt out yet for 2018 anyway) until i know its solid from the factory in the first place.

that make sense?

Yup.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was thinking I may be a buyer for the MPT when it is available for the 2018...but after 2400 miles...truck is really starting to calm down. Still some goofy shifts here and there but overall very impressed. Funny thing, when I stomp on it this new truck rocks!! And I don't miss my V8 roar...it only drew attention.

So I'd say just drive your new truck for a bit and get to know what it is like stock. After maybe 3,000 miles...if you want more...I'd say go for it.

OP
OP
mmacfn

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good advice guys.

Im all for modding but i want to be smart about it.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

that make sense?

Exactly what I did. Wanted to let time pass a little, see what was produced, and what worked vs what did not. Pedal Commander is everything users say it is. The MPT wakes the truck up in a very different way. Tranny works better in Normal Mode, and the truck is unbelievable when running sport mode at higher speeds. Still has hard shifts in sport driving around town.

---------- Post added at 11:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Was thinking I may be a buyer for the MPT when it is available for the 2018...but after 2400 miles...truck is really starting to calm down. Still some goofy shifts here and there but overall very impressed. Funny thing, when I stomp on it this new truck rocks!! And I don't miss my V8 roar...it only drew attention.

So I'd say just drive your new truck for a bit and get to know what it is like stock. After maybe 3,000 miles...if you want more...I'd say go for it.

Get the MPT tune, then stomp on it. HOLY *******!!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Hey all

So I talked to my dealership today and asked about tunes and impact on the warranty. They have many customers who tuned and said that it is exceedingly rare tunes have really caused any issues. However, they also made it clear that ford would deny any powertrain issues if a tune was applied AT ALL. This seems to be what most here have stated as well.

So my question for the group is this.

How many GEN 2 owners have tuned right after purchase and have you had any issues?

A few have thrown caution to the wind. engine replacement is likely going to go into 5 figures, trans probably 4-6k minimum. If you can’t afford that kind of nut, think very hard about putting a tune on the truck.

The dealers told me the same thing when I asked about the crazy, stupid, insane weep hole recommendation that the FRF user formerly known as sasquatch77 was pedaling. Warranty = gone.

I’ve seen some pretty unusual air/fuel ratios in the few dyno graphs posted, so I’m waiting to see if any of these tuned trucks start spontaneously throwing hard parts through the block.
There is a rumor that Ford Performance will produce a tune, but, I’m starting to think it will be entombed by CARB and never released. F/P would retain the warranty with their tune, but would be much more conservative.