Trying so hard to like the Gen 3 but.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Halo Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the big question for Gen 2 owners that are unsure of the upgrade is "Is it worth it"? 5 link and and 37's are the main 2 things most will be looking at. The 5 link is going to outperform a stock leaf sprung Gen 2 and has more towing capacity. Did you all see it jump and no buck from the rear. For those that off road, the buck is what kills ya... Second, what are the changes to the Gen 3 that make it better with 37's ? Are there different suspension components to compensate for the much heavier tire ? Is the steering box and rods thicker/stronger than ones ordered with 35's ? Is the frame stronger/thicker/gusseted different up front ? So if those are all a yes from the factory, well then you have a warranty and the is it worth it question for me is "Yes". I can do all those some things to my Gen 2 to make it better than a stock Gen 3, but once I do, warranty for all those parts is toast. Now the next question is, if you owe less than 30k on your Gen 2, or its paid off, and the Gen 3 R comes out with a V8 but is 100k, you can swap a V8 into your Gen 2 for cheaper than that. So, lots of questions to be answered as we see more. As for looks, I like the Gen 2 front end better personally, but I dig on the old school wide looking front end that I liked about the Gen 1. Just my .02 cents

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The suspension upgrade alone makes the Gen 3 very attractive. More travel all the way around and coil sprung rear Gen3>Gen2. The exterior lines will grow on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like how they've gone back to the full one piece grill like the Gen 1 and the flat lower valance vs the step between it and the bumper in the Gen 2.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front end of the Gen3 is growing on me. I saw a couple pictures with some brighter colors and it really pops nicely. The rear applique though just looks off to me since it is so thing compared to the tail lights. If you can throw the Gen2 one on there I think it would look a lot better.

I can see where people are calling this a Gen2.5 but how much does this thing need for you guys to consider it a new generation? Sure it's coming with basically a refreshed 3.5 eco with different turbos but the frame and suspension is basically all new.

Personally I'm starting to lean heavy towards ditching my Gen2 for the Gen3. While out the box I like the Gen2 looks more the Gen3 is not terrible. What is selling me is the 5 link (4 link with panhard bar), stock 37's and the interior update (minus the folding shifter, I'm not a fan of T or L handle style shifters).

If you want to fit 37's on a Gen2 sure you can do it with some minor mods but if you use the truck like you're supposed to the tires are going to eat the fenders. Now say you want to 4 link the rear.... good luck doing that at any reasonable cost. Plus looking down the line the ease of upgrading with the Gen3. Fenders already have plenty of room for 37's from the factory and the rear is already a 5 link. The bolt on party for the Gen3s is going to be huge and makes me wonder what kind of crazy things people are going to do without needing a full back half because the truck is already linked.

Now really the only thing that is really lingering in my head is what the Warthog is going to be when that comes out. Ford is putting out some serious off road toys and that's exciting.

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 and plan on making a jump to the newer version at some point. I sold my 2010 6.2 because of age and desire for the latest technology. The 2021 would not be enough differences for me to make the jump. The V8 is tempting but the cost and ADM would be deciding factor. Milage might be considered, a 36 gal tank might give you 300 plus miles per tank. I have a gas hog now, with the possibility of gas prices going north in a hurry, 4, 5 or $6 a gal might create some doubt.

They are claiming a 500 mile range per tank. Not bad!

Azrael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 2020 lead foot screw no roof, just did the first oil changed & added JLT catch can & some weather tech mudflaps in front-had it bout 3 months 3600 miles on it- I’m keeping this thing for at least 3 more years I’ll wait see how the TRX holds up, how the gen 3 raptor & raptor R look & let the kinks work out - I’ll NEVER buy a first or even 2nd model year of a new design. Nope. Not gonna be the mass market guinea pig for things like plastic oil pans lol

I nearly bought an F250 tremor diesel since the new raptor availability in the options I wanted was slim - that’s still on the table down the line too I guess

Well, at least you will be n warranty.

Sheeepdog18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my Gen 2 and can't see spending $100k + for a Gen3 V8 if that ever happened. I do like that fold down shifter, that will come in handy on long drive with my girlfriend, nothing will get in the way!! She won't have any excuse anymore. LOL

dirtgod

Reaction score
Nice evolution. Selfishly, I like that it’s not a vast departure cosmetically from my gen 2 as I want to keep mine another few years at least and won’t feel like I am driving an ancient version right away

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 2 wins exterior, 3 wins interior and suspension. If they were on the lot for exactly the same price it would be hard to pass up a gen 3. Having a gen 2 I don’t see changing in the future. Love my truck