Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tkugs

Reaction score
Looking for some help with a transmission whistle noise. I have a 2021 Gen3 with 9k miles on it. The transmission was overfull from the dealer which initially caused overheating and random up/down shifting while cruising at highway speeds. That issue was diagnosed and corrected and things appear to drive normally now.. However I now have a very loud whistle sound ALL THE TIME, and I cant stand it. Dealer says it's normal and I'm telling them NO WAY! It's so loud that my passengers and I can hear it over the radio!

Here is a short clip of the issue. Starts off with normal engine noise but starting about the 20 sec mark you can hear the whistle getting louder.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same noise, and if anyone has figured out what it is and how to correct it?

Thanks in advance.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you can hear it over the radio that's nuts. With my new transmission in my 22 I only hear it ever so slightly with my windows down and when the trans is still reaching operating temp. What I wish wasnt still happening is the random thud/clunk when downshifting coming to a complete stop.

awd5906

Reaction score
That whistle is not normal at all, especially at that volume. I’d try to visit another dealer if you are able to and take a tech for a drive to demonstrate the noise. Perhaps they botched the original service when they corrected the overfill? I also have the clunk when coming to a stop, especially a rapid stop. It’s normal apparently (drove someone else’s 22 raptor and it did the same thing) and as far as I can tell it occurs randomly. Some days nothing, some days it happens when the tranny is cold, some days it happens when the tranny is warm. I have 2k miles on a 23.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That sounds more like turbo whistle than a transmission noise. Does the noise get louder as it builds boost?

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just saw this bout GM 10R80 trans on the ole Tok.

Attachments

• v12044gd0000ch02girc77u2mt5evmg0.mp4
    12.6 MB
OP
OP
T

Tkugs

Reaction score
If you can hear it over the radio that's nuts. With my new transmission in my 22 I only hear it ever so slightly with my windows down and when the trans is still reaching operating temp. What I wish wasnt still happening is the random thud/clunk when downshifting coming to a complete stop.
I have the same clunk too!

IDASEV

Reaction score
I have it on my R. I agree, shouldn't be hearing. It reminds me of engine noise feedback that you would get from stereo systems back in the day. Wasn't sure if it was the supercharger wine also.