Gen 1 Transmission Took A Dump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 screw with 140k miles just had the trans burn up. Was driving home from the store and got a loud whine in 5th gear followed by a feeling of the clutch being halfway engaged. Had it towed to the dealer a good friend works at. Turns out the 3rd 5th and overdrive gear clutch assembly has failed. Apparently a transmission is extremely hard to get right now. Rebuilding it is only a few hundred bucks cheaper than a new one so that’s out of the question. I found this transmission online and wondering if anyone has used them?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like a 2wd Transmission case with output yoke , Seems pretty cheap . Doesnt give options for 4WD or engine size , these came in v6 applications .

Sportyworty

Reaction score
I saved this thread for future reference. A used 5.0 take out is an option for some people.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 2wd Transmission case with output yoke , Seems pretty cheap . Doesnt give options for 4WD or engine size , these came in v6 applications .
I didn’t know 6R80 transmissions came in 2wd? If that’s the case then it may work. I’m only running 2wd in my truck anyways since I removed my front diff and everything a long time ago.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn’t know 6R80 transmissions came in 2wd? If that’s the case then it may work. I’m only running 2wd in my truck anyways since I removed my front diff and everything a long time ago.
Yes, it’s the same transmission used across the F-150 lineup, as well as Expedition. They came in 2WD or 4WD with various bell housing patterns.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it’s the same transmission used across the F-150 lineup, as well as Expedition. They came in 2WD or 4WD with various bell housing patterns.
Do you happen to know what part numbers would work for my 2012? After doing some searching, it seems that a 5.0 coyote trans will work as well, but want to be sure. On that website I posted a link to, there are three or four different part numbers to choose from.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what part numbers would work for my 2012? After doing some searching, it seems that a 5.0 coyote trans will work as well, but want to be sure. On that website I posted a link to, there are three or four different part numbers to choose from.
The parts catalog will only show the specific part number for the application. I believe I saw someone on here had installed a transmission from a 5.0 though and it seemed to work.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well shit. mine took a crap as well. im going to piggyback off your thread if you dont mind..... truck is in salt lake city at the moment. effin insurance is giving me grief. i believe mine was due to my wreck. @FordTechOne can you share your thoughts? a month ago i was in wyoming and the wind and snow storm blew my travel trailer over. it whipped the truck around backwards and drug it a bit. i was going 55mph and then all of a sudden im going backwards, still in drive gears. would that damage the transmission? drove home and it all seemed fine. only drove it 12-15 miles in the following weeks and then 7hours into our trip to nevada it just gave out. wasnt towing. a friend at work heard a clicking noise but it wasnt loud. figured i would check it out when we got home, instead it died on iur way out.

OP
OP
BigGriff023

BigGriff023

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well shit. mine took a crap as well. im going to piggyback off your thread if you dont mind..... truck is in salt lake city at the moment. effin insurance is giving me grief. i believe mine was due to my wreck. @FordTechOne can you share your thoughts? a month ago i was in wyoming and the wind and snow storm blew my travel trailer over. it whipped the truck around backwards and drug it a bit. i was going 55mph and then all of a sudden im going backwards, still in drive gears. would that damage the transmission? drove home and it all seemed fine. only drove it 12-15 miles in the following weeks and then 7hours into our trip to nevada it just gave out. wasnt towing. a friend at work heard a clicking noise but it wasnt loud. figured i would check it out when we got home, instead it died on iur way out.
I would imagine you would have noticed a problem pretty quickly after the accident. Only thing I can think of is maybe some teeth had slight cracks, then finally broke off and gave out or something after a lot more driving. Transmissions as well as rebuild kits are apparently very hard to come across right now. The company at the link I posted in my original thread definitely sounds worth looking into on Monday.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea that’s definitely not a good scenario. Hard to say exactly what could have happened internally, but seems awfully coincidental that it failed a short while later.