Transmission "quacks" downshifting 6th to 3rd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so my girlfriend and I heard a weird sound yesterday. I was pressing the accelerator to pass someone and at 40mph, giving it enough gas to downshift into 3rd, the transmission makes a sound that I can only describe as a "quack". I can do it on a whim, every time, if I'm cruising at 40 and have it go from 6th to 3rd. It almost has a faint found of grinding but the "quack" is the most prominent sound. 6th to 5th and 6th to 4th is fine but 6th to 3rd is the problem. I haven't tried just flooring it to drop to 2nd as I don't want to completely destroy the transmission but it IS under warranty... I'm going to bring it in to the dealer I bought it from hopefully over the weekend.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has ever had a similar sound or problem as I searched and found 3 threads with only one pertaining to a transmission sound that never got answered.

11,900 miles on the truck.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, so my girlfriend and I heard a weird sound yesterday. I was pressing the accelerator to pass someone and at 40mph, giving it enough gas to downshift into 3rd, the transmission makes a sound that I can only describe as a "quack". I can do it on a whim, every time, if I'm cruising at 40 and have it go from 6th to 3rd. It almost has a faint found of grinding but the "quack" is the most prominent sound. 6th to 5th and 6th to 4th is fine but 6th to 3rd is the problem. I haven't tried just flooring it to drop to 2nd as I don't want to completely destroy the transmission but it IS under warranty... I'm going to bring it in to the dealer I bought it from hopefully over the weekend...

What did you find out at the dealership, cgibs89? I'll check in on this thread and see if you need any assistance.

Crystal

OP
OP
cgibs89

cgibs89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you find out at the dealership, cgibs89? I'll check in on this thread and see if you need any assistance.

Crystal

I have not been able to get to the dealer. Been helping my parents move and now suddenly, the sound is gone so I'm not sure.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Good luck with the issue bud, crystal will help you out!

I've been here a long time and never heard of the transmission quacking. If there is something to happen to a raptor, its documented here almost every time. This one guy spilled crickets in his raptor. He was about to go fishing. Oh... Wait... Shit that was me! :insane: :snoopfacepalm: