Transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E Daddy Dog

Reaction score
Have had my 2020 since December’20. All stock about 25000 on the odometer. From day 1 rough shifts between 2-3 and 4-5. Downshifts are abysmal in lower gears especially 2-1. Even has a clunking noise and jerks a little. Have brought it up every time taken in for service. Reset tables the whole shebang. They finally took a look into it and had my truck for 4 weeks trying to diagnose. They could not replicate the issue, although they said to replace the transmission valve body. So they did that. Took it home last Thursday and still the same issue. Called the dealership and ford to get an engineer on the issue. Going to take it back to the dealership in 2 days to drive with the technician who test drove the truck and try to replicate. Have ford on board with the issue and wanted to know if any suggestions. Not gonna flash the Tom. No idea how to or want to put in the effort. Still under warranty. Any further suggestions? Btw I love my truck it tows my 6000lb camper no problem and is a beast off-road. Just have a finicky transmission. Any help is appreciated.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sound unfortunately normal to me. It’s actually much smoother now after driving it hard for a few moths in sport mode. But taking it easy in Normal was just as you described.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shift concerns are subject to customer perception. For people used to older automatic transmissions where the shifts are slow and soft and the converter only locks in O/D, new transmissions like the 10R can take some getting used to. The shifts are deliberate and the converter locks up in most ratios.

When the valve body is replaced the transmission Adaptive Learning procedure should be performed. Most dealers overlook it. It requires a scan tool to perform, but you can use FoScan, which is free and only requires a ~$50 compatible adapter.

StraightSixM2C

Reaction score
@FordTechOne
Can you shed some light on the proper procedure after doing the transmission re-learn? From what I’ve read(there’s a lot of bad info out there) there is a sequence of putting the truck in park/neutral/reverse after allowing the truck to shift up and down the gears at light throttle.

Also, thanks for all the work you do on these forums. Your attempt to dispel bad information is appreciated.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FordTechOne
Can you shed some light on the proper procedure after doing the transmission re-learn? From what I’ve read(there’s a lot of bad info out there) there is a sequence of putting the truck in park/neutral/reverse after allowing the truck to shift up and down the gears at light throttle.

Also, thanks for all the work you do on these forums. Your attempt to dispel bad information is appreciated.
Thanks! And sure, here’s the link:

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/is-forscan-considered-a-tune-for-warranty.84065/post-1635008

Reptar18

Reaction score
I’m going through something similar

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shift concerns are subject to customer perception. For people used to older automatic transmissions where the shifts are slow and soft and the converter only locks in O/D, new transmissions like the 10R can take some getting used to. The shifts are deliberate and the converter locks up in most ratios.

When the valve body is replaced the transmission Adaptive Learning procedure should be performed. Most dealers overlook it. It requires a scan tool to perform, but you can use FoScan, which is free and only requires a ~$50 compatible adapter.
When OD transmissions first came out for about 3 years we had a shit ton of complaints.

"my cruise control turns itself on" "transmission goes into neutral when I let off the gas"

I can't remember all the ways it was described. Basically customers (mostly older) were used to engine braking on the old 3 speed automatics.

Newer transmissions will downshift at times to help you slow down, but that is something new, happening in the last 15-20 years.

But before that auto transmissions responded to one thing, how much load the vehicle was under. This was done 3 ways, throttle, vehicle speed, engine vacuum. Before 1985 (and slowly fading away after) these 3 things were all done mechanically, 0 electrical inputs into the transmission.

Anyway throttle closed, speed over about 35 and high engine vacuum is a low load situation and the transmission will up shift, in this case into Over Drive which allowed the car to coast much much farther than they were used to. People were used to letting off the gas and coasting to a stop, or around a corner without using the brakes.

Things change, people not so much.