2019 Transmission assistance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar18

Reaction score
Took the truck to the dealer for a transmission issue of it shifting hesitation down low around gears 1-5 I think (more specifically 2-3 or 3-4 can't remember). I will say this isn't all the time. Happens periodically and usually only once during a driving session if it does happen, but not every time I drive it. One dealership told me this was common for 2019's and a reflash/relearn fixes it. They couldn't see me until the middle of August this year. So about a month later, I thought to call another dealership that was able to get me in on 5/20 with no idea or recommendation as to what the issue could be. Fast forward to yesterday, Friday 3/24, I called in to get a update and this dealers tech said they will need to remove the transmission because the issue with it shifting this way was due to a bad internal component (I thought it started with the letter C). My vehicle has 54k on it, I am the second owner. During the warmer months it seems to shift fine from what I can remember, light or medium thottle but when it gets cold like this year, I had the shifting hesitation.

My question is, should I recommend them do the reprogramming first before taking the truck apart? Or let them do that and skip the reprogramming that I've seen so many talk about that has fixed their transmission? This will be covered under my factory powertrain warranty now until 60k. After, I have a ford premium extended warranty 10yr 150k I think.

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the component they mentioned a solenoid? Since this is intermittent and given the fact that it seems to be weather/temperature related, it sounds more like a hardware related issue to me. I have heard of the software relearn fixing some general rough shifting especially when going from Park to Drive/Reverse, but not so much with specific gears. I could be wrong though. If it were me, I would do the relearn procedure myself using Forscan and see if it fixes the issue. If it doesn't fix the issue, at least you will know that the dealership did the right thing by removing the transmission. Either way, it's under warranty so I wouldn't sweat it too much. It just sucks this is taking so long.

OP
OP
R

Reptar18

Reaction score
I think it was a solenoid. I can call and check on Monday to make sure. I guess I’ll let them do the removal and see how it goes? Is this common? I’ve searched a little and haven’t found much on it.

STHenry

Reaction score
Interested in hearing your outcome as mine is having shifting issues between 3 and 4 during the first few minutes every morning. I had the relearn completed to fix a hesitation between gears 7 and 8 which always occurred no matter what the temprature. Wondering if the cold issue is a relearn or something else.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interested in hearing your outcome as mine is having shifting issues between 3 and 4 during the first few minutes every morning. I had the relearn completed to fix a hesitation between gears 7 and 8 which always occurred no matter what the temprature. Wondering if the cold issue is a relearn or something else.
That’s a characteristic of the transmission calibration; they all do it during the first few shifts when cold. The only way to eliminate it would be with an aftermarket tune.

STHenry

Reaction score
That’s a characteristic of the transmission calibration; they all do it during the first few shifts when cold. The only way to eliminate it would be with an aftermarket tune.
Appreciate the response. I will consider this a non issue going forward!

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock trans tune from Ford is absolute hot garbage. I'm running the canned Cobb 'sport' trans tune and it is very very good. I always scratch my head when people complain about the transmission until I remember I'm tuned. Smooth as can be, I'm very happy with it.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The stock trans tune from Ford is absolute hot garbage. I'm running the canned Cobb 'sport' trans tune and it is very very good. I always scratch my head when people complain about the transmission until I remember I'm tuned. Smooth as can be, I'm very happy with it.
I ran the same sport tune on my 19, it was perfect.