Trans dead (couple months after replacing the motor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D11gnccer

Reaction score
Well- that confirms a dispute for me on this forum, you can get a raptor crate motor for $10k.......I’d like to put that in stripped out basic bitch 4 banger mustang, tune it w/ **** injection & add a huge IC & downpipes thing would be stupid

I had a 2.3 mustang premium prior to the Raptor. Constantly find myself saying the mustang would have been a blast with the 3.5tt.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a 2.3 mustang premium prior to the Raptor. Constantly find myself saying the mustang would have been a blast with the 3.5tt.

I feel like you could get a late model one like that @ auction for relatively short $$$ or even used car lot- wonder how easy a swap it’d be?

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas Monkey garage put a eco boost in a Pantera out of an f150. It was insane. Sound was incredible out of those short headers and exhaust tracks. And I just watched an episode of junkyard empire where they swapped a f150 eco boost into an older Mustang svo. Sweeeeeet.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gas Monkey garage put a eco boost in a Pantera out of an f150. It was insane. Sound was incredible out of those short headers and exhaust tracks. And I just watched an episode of junkyard empire where they swapped a f150 eco boost into an older Mustang svo. Sweeeeeet.
Wouldn't it be nice to have those resources, could build all sorts of cool stuff.

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
This thread is kinda beat to death - but I'm getting my truck back today after about a month. Ran by the trans shop yesterday to chat and get an update and they found some odd stuff on teardown. The friction disks were worn in "unusual" ways ... those where heavy slippage d/t whatever the initial cause of the issue was were worn in that way. But a lot of the other friction material was worn in odd patterns. Some showed signs of degradation at the corners of the material (if you've not seen these in modern applications it's like a small brake rotor ... or clutch disk ... and the friction material is on these alternating triangles (one up, one down) around the circumference. If I'd thought about it - I would have taken pics (my bad). And others had excessive wear on the inside circumference of the disk but not the outside ... like the pressure was too high on the inner loop vs. outer.

He's done work on these 10-speeds (10r80) in diff. applications - never seen it like this. I suppose the issues of a bad solenoid or other damage could have lead to a cascade effect where downstream issues were amplified. He actually didn't think this particular trans had been "abused" ... he wasn't sure what the overriding cause could have been - but based on the wear patterns he's just kind of stumped. Round about way of saying - he thinks in the next couple of years he's gonna be seeing a lot more 10r80s coming through for rebuilds. Take that w/ whatever grains of salt you might like.

BTW - the relearning of these is super-annoying. According to instructions he's got from Ford - there's a 10+ mile sequence of running through the gears at low RPM ... followed by slowing and cycling through Park, R, N, Drive ... repeated multiple times. That just gets it back to "new" ... the learn-in takes a lot of normal driving ... then there's a process for the paddle-shifters after that. He said you can just drive it - but that you want to spend the time getting it all formatted or you'll wind up w/ sub-optimal shifting-comfort-wise or not strong enough on the "performance" side.

Just a little food for thought on my experiences here ... either way, i'm just happy to be getting it back.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BTW - the relearning of these is super-annoying. According to instructions he's got from Ford - there's a 10+ mile sequence of running through the gears at low RPM ... followed by slowing and cycling through Park, R, N, Drive ... repeated multiple times. That just gets it back to "new" ... the learn-in takes a lot of normal driving ... then there's a process for the paddle-shifters after that. He said you can just drive it - but that you want to spend the time getting it all formatted or you'll wind up w/ sub-optimal shifting-comfort-wise or not strong enough on the "performance" side.

So Ford does this with every single truck? It's hard to imagine that they don't flash and forget. Seriously, talk about a production bottleneck.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So Ford does this with every single truck? It's hard to imagine that they don't flash and forget. Seriously, talk about a production bottleneck.
Maybe Ford has a way of doing it at the factory or at a dealer, sort of like their code reader, IDK, throwing ideas around.

OP, glad you got your truck back, hope you can enjoy it and get this behind you now. Happy trails.

OP
OP
Jason Krakauer

Jason Krakauer

Reaction score
It might be worth an hour of tech time to have a Ford dealer reflash it ...

Good news is that the trans shop did the hard work of getting into "learning" mode already. I'm just on the hook for driving it around normally to get the shift maps in ... and then the flappy paddles in a couple of weeks.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
This thread is kinda beat to death - but I'm getting my truck back today after about a month. Ran by the trans shop yesterday to chat and get an update and they found some odd stuff on teardown. The friction disks were worn in "unusual" ways ... those where heavy slippage d/t whatever the initial cause of the issue was were worn in that way. But a lot of the other friction material was worn in odd patterns. Some showed signs of degradation at the corners of the material (if you've not seen these in modern applications it's like a small brake rotor ... or clutch disk ... and the friction material is on these alternating triangles (one up, one down) around the circumference. If I'd thought about it - I would have taken pics (my bad). And others had excessive wear on the inside circumference of the disk but not the outside ... like the pressure was too high on the inner loop vs. outer.

He's done work on these 10-speeds (10r80) in diff. applications - never seen it like this. I suppose the issues of a bad solenoid or other damage could have lead to a cascade effect where downstream issues were amplified. He actually didn't think this particular trans had been "abused" ... he wasn't sure what the overriding cause could have been - but based on the wear patterns he's just kind of stumped. Round about way of saying - he thinks in the next couple of years he's gonna be seeing a lot more 10r80s coming through for rebuilds. Take that w/ whatever grains of salt you might like.

Just a little food for thought on my experiences here ... either way, i'm just happy to be getting it back.
did you end up doing the upgrades to the trans? There is a raybestos kit on the market that seems to work well.