Trailer Hitch Drop -how much?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clemsondds

Reaction score
Have an '18 raptor stock. I bought a boat (3500lbs) and need to know how much drop in my hitch I should get. I have to go pick up the boat in Virginia...so I need to have the hitch before I get there. I am thinking somewhere between 4-6". Any thoughts? thanks!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ball is usually 18" high at the top.

Measure to the top inside of the receiver and then add your ball height. However much that total is above 18" is the drop you need for your ball mount.

So if you have 20" to top inside of receiver, plus a 3" high ball, you would need a 5" drop ball mount.

However, since the Gen 2 Raptors sag so much when loaded, you might want to go with less of a drop compared to "normal" trucks. SWAG is a 3" would probably be fine.

Jackkk

Reaction score
Have an '18 raptor stock. I bought a boat (3500lbs) and need to know how much drop in my hitch I should get. I have to go pick up the boat in Virginia...so I need to have the hitch before I get there. I am thinking somewhere between 4-6". Any thoughts? thanks!

I tow a 24' Champion Bay Champ (not sure on weight / at least 4000lb.) and use a B&W TS10033B with a 3" drop and a 3.5 rise. I originally purchased the B&W TS10037B with a 5" drop and a 5.5 rise. The 5" drop unit looked funny on my 2018 rapture, it didn't look proportional. I have zero regret with the switch and I would buy it again if I was purchasing another one today. The raptor does not like a lot of tongue weight, but most boats (especially random trailers) are setup well balanced. Engine wise, it pulls better than the last 2 GM 6.2's I had. Good luck and make sure your boat tires p.s.i. are maxed out for the drive home.

Jackkk

Reaction score
I've had 2 rapid hitches since 2005, Great hitch! But I needed every inch, so I could fit in my garage. The B&W allowed me to close the garage door, whereas my rapid did not.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ball height depends solely on the tongue height of the trailer.

Well, yea, but he said he's towing a boat though. Nearly every boat trailer made has a design height of 18"- unless you are talking something huge, which is not going to be towed by a Raptor without riding on the bumps stops the whole time.