Tow Hooks or Tow Hitch when getting pulled out or pulling someone else out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miles

Reaction score
Looking for advice on Gen 3. I went to Raptor Assault and learned enough to go for it. I started offroading and having a blast. The last time I went out, it was just me, and no one was around. I realized I need to be way more prepared in case I get stuck, and no one is there.

I don't want to go crazy, but I want to have the essentials. I bought a come-along, Rhino 30' strap, shackles, and recovery traction boards. I grew up on a farm and think I should be pretty good with these. Much better than most of what we had. :)

My questions for the group.

1. Any other equipment you recommend? D-ring hitch?

2. Getting pulled out. Does anyone have experience getting pulled by your tow hooks on the front or rear? What would happen if you got a real pull on either side? How strong are the tow hooks on the rear? WHat damage are we talking about?

2. Pulling someone else out. Also looking for answers from experience.
2A. Could I pull someone out using the tow hooks on the front, or the rear, without damaging the truck?
2B. If you have a choice for the rear between the tow hooks and the trailer hitch, is there a major difference in potential damage done to the truck? I would think always go with the trailer hitch, but if it's a no-brainer, why do they even have tow hitches on the back?

Takes three washes to clean after a trip, LOL. Baja squadron lights are amazing also. I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_7660.jpeg
    IMG_7660.jpeg
    447.7 KB · Views: 35

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Soft shackles, kinetic rope, a dampener (in case the strap breaks), a jack base / or off road jack and base, decent shovel and a spare ( for the lookie loos who show and jaw with you while you’re digging ),
2. Getting pulled out. Does anyone have experience getting pulled by your tow hooks on the front or rear? What would happen if you got a real pull on either side? How strong are the tow hooks on the rear? WHat damage are we talking about?
The Raptor tow hooks are pretty strong. I’ve pulled others, not been stuck enough yet to warrant getting pulled out.
2A. Could I pull someone out using the tow hooks on the front, or the rear, without damaging the truck?
Yes, you could. Either snatch with a kinetic rope or pull. It’s preferable to do this using the rear hooks; that is snatch or pull in forward gears.
2B. If you have a choice for the rear between the tow hooks and the trailer hitch, is there a major difference in potential damage done to the truck? I would think always go with the trailer hitch, but if it's a no-brainer, why do they even have tow hitches on the back?

Tow hooks, without question. What’s the trailer hitch designed for? pulling weight / cargo. The Rap has tow hooks for getting un stuck which may involve “shock” loads.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Looking for advice on Gen 3. I went to Raptor Assault and learned enough to go for it. I started offroading and having a blast. The last time I went out, it was just me, and no one was around. I realized I need to be way more prepared in case I get stuck, and no one is there.

I don't want to go crazy, but I want to have the essentials. I bought a come-along, Rhino 30' strap, shackles, and recovery traction boards. I grew up on a farm and think I should be pretty good with these. Much better than most of what we had. :)

My questions for the group.

Takes three washes to clean after a trip, LOL. Baja squadron lights are amazing also. I really appreciate any help you can provide.
I’ve posted this lis before but I’ll throw a few up here again. I fly Solo almost all the time on Trails where I will seldom see anyone, kind of the reason for going there in the first place..lol
I tell everyone the MAXTRAX are my #1 Rescue/Recovery tool for myself and helping others..
The IN-REACH IS BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT! I never have cell signal where I go and the Life Insurance Company won’t pay, IF THEY CAN’T FIND THE BODY…Exactly why my wife got me mine….
SHOW ME THE MONEY…:driver::happy160::patriot:IMG_7868.pngIMG_7867.jpegIMG_7873.jpegIMG_7878.jpegIMG_7870.png