Trade in 18 Raptor for new 2021 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RRick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather give my money to a Dealer than to the government so I will be trading in as well. Saves me the hassle of selling private party as well.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you drop $80k on a new truck to save state and local sales tax on maybe $5-$8k inflated value on your current truck? Maybe save $800 max?
Around here, if you buy a new truck at $80k, you pay 8.4% sales tax. If you trade in your current ride for $70k, you pay 8.4% sales tax on the difference, or $10k. So if you sell privately, you pay tax on the entire purchase price. That way, dealers can lowball you and you can still come out ahead. Which means lots of tax money going into dealer pockets. I don't guess that has anything to do with how many legislators the dealers own ...

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m going to wait for 2022/2023 personally. Let the craziness and bugs work their way out.

Plus I’m just having tooooo much fun with this 2020.

this is going to be even more true than ever before when taking the leap into a brand new redesign of a vehicle b/c of all the covid production stoppages/supply chain bottlenecks/semi chip squeeze etc- you got labor issues etc they’re going to be cracking these vehicles back open at a later date to install the various chips/modules they can’t get a hold of now

I don’t wanna be a negative Nancy here I’m just saying it seems like there’s def going to be some potential for QC issues

ParkCity06

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020--all options except Recaro's--at invoice--$68k. Order window opens 6/10 for the 2021s--so will see what my trade-in value is then. But while my value will drop by the time the 2022s hit--thinking of waiting as well for the 2022 so the 21's bugs or recalls are worked out. Plus, not in a major hurry--loving what I have.

Ps--other than an extra 1.5inches of ground clearance--any advantage to ordering the new Raptor with the 37 inch tires? I am new to all of this.

Dtsgli

Reaction score
I purchased my 2020--all options except Recaro's--at invoice--$68k. Order window opens 6/10 for the 2021s--so will see what my trade-in value is then. But while my value will drop by the time the 2022s hit--thinking of waiting as well for the 2022 so the 21's bugs or recalls are worked out. Plus, not in a major hurry--loving what I have.

Ps--other than an extra 1.5inches of ground clearance--any advantage to ordering the new Raptor with the 37 inch tires? I am new to all of this.
Yes big time. You get the interior that looks like a smurf ********** all over and someone from Ford wiped all the surfaces with it trying to clean it up.

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deduct the value of your trade-in from the price you paid for the new vehicle before they calculate taxes.So your $80,000 new Raptor less you’re $50,000 trade-in you only pay taxes on 30 grand.
Ah damn. I was hoping you were going to offer a solution for trading in my 2020 for a 2021 that wouldn’t have me get hit with corporate tax on the trade-in value haha. Looks like I’ll be driving the 2020 for a while.

OP
OP
LPZML

LPZML

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The taxes here in chicago are about 1k per 10000 so that's a big loss if you dont trade in. The taxes are put towards your new truck so you only pay the difference.

Spinothalamic

Reaction score

I was told I can order my truck tomorrow, and it will be a 12-18 week wait until it’s ready. Does this sound right?

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deduct the value of your trade-in from the price you paid for the new vehicle before they calculate taxes.So your $80,000 new Raptor less you’re $50,000 trade-in you only pay taxes on 30 grand.
Wow... this is insane taxes! In NJ, do you also pay an annual personal property tax on your vehicles?