Trade in 18 Raptor for new 2021 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons that used car prices are so inflated is lenders are loaning up to 130% of a cars value. Have several friends in the auto business that have said when what is going will not end well.
When production gets back to 100% a hard correction will happen, why would anyone pay $79k for used Raptor when they can buy a 2021 for the same money or maybe even less.

We are at the top, its better to sell now then wait..

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of heading to the dealer and ordering a 2021 Raptor since it saves you the $ on taxes. Anyone have any idea what could get for mine? and if they even do trade in for vehicle you order? I have a 2018 Raptor fully loaded 13k miles excellant condition.
Can You please elaborate on what you’re referring to regarding taxes here?

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my 2019 802A SCrew in for general service (oil change, etc.). I custom ordered my Raptor from this dealer, it is fully optioned minus sunroof, with 29k miles, original price MSRP ~$74k. They offered $70,049 to trade it in, and when orders open let me order a new 2021 and sell it at MSRP. Thats about $0.15 per mile or about $5.50 per day to use the truck for 2 years. I told them I would think about it. I do not know how long deals like this will be made, and I'm not sure I can turn something like this down.

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in 2019 dealers in the south and in most parts of the country couldn't give Raptors away. I bought mine for 8000 off and had multiple dealers that would match my deal. I bought my 2020 in Oct last year for $8500... the sudden rise in value just happened over the past 4 months.
I dont think the 2020's will drop into the 50's when the 2021's start hitting the lots, but they will be back to the low to mid 60's.

If Ford opts to limit production , which they should then values may hold. They made way too many Gen2's and thats why they had a hard time selling them in 2019. When I bought my 19 I talked to dealers that still had 2018's on the lot! The Tremor F150 may be what keeps Ford from over building Raptors again. However the prices are so close I cant see anyone buying a fully loaded F150 Tremor over the Raptor unless they need the extra towing capacity.

You’re an idiot.
I have heard this story sine I bought my first gen 2. Exact opposite has occurred

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deduct the value of your trade-in from the price you paid for the new vehicle before they calculate taxes.So your $80,000 new Raptor less you’re $50,000 trade-in you only pay taxes on 30 grand.
THAT’S the big tax dodge scheme the OP was referring to? I though it was an electric hybrid credit or some Biden giveaway car purchase credit.

So you drop $80k on a new truck to save state and local sales tax on maybe $5-$8k inflated value on your current truck? Maybe save $800 max?

That sounds like an excuse I would use on my wife to get the truck. “Going to save a bunch on taxes honey!” “Plus it has a better vanity mirror”

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
THAT’S the big tax dodge scheme the OP was referring to? I though it was an electric hybrid credit or some Biden giveaway car purchase credit.

So you drop $80k on a new truck to save state and local sales tax on maybe $5-$8k inflated value on your current truck? Maybe save $800 max?

That sounds like an excuse I would use on my wife to get the truck. “Going to save a bunch on taxes honey!” “Plus it has a better vanity mirror”
In NJ the example I gave would save almost 3500 in taxes...it’s real money....for mods. :)